Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Purdue Partnerships R&D Undergraduate Year Round in Unidentified, New Mexico
We are seeking an exceptional year-round graduate student to join the SENSE (Sandia-Extended National Security Externship) program at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN). In this position, the student will perform technical research for 10-25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer while being mentored by Sandia scientists and engineers to create and develop innovative solutions to challenging national security problems. A variety of projects and research experiences related to cybersecurity, engineering sciences, physics modeling and simulations are available.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Apply software and programing skills in computer security from the software stack down to embedded hardware
- Address problems in in the realm of cyber security research
- Explore and develop original ideas to keep pace with the rapid changes in information technology and the increasing sophistication of cyber threats
- Create, discover and validate software for model development, code improvement, and engineering simulations for analyses at atomic or continuum scales
- Perform research, development, and analysis in engineering mechanics through simulations in the areas of heat and energy transport, fluid dynamics, structural dynamics, solid mechanics, mechanics of materials, and electromagnetic science and engineering
- Work and team with Sandia staff on research topics of mutual interest
- Present research findings and communicate in joint team meetings and site visits.
- Occasional travel to Sandia New Mexico and/or Sandia California as needed to support projects, primarily during the summer
- Support school-specific engagement strategies such as the “SENSE” program and support efforts to target students/faculty that may be interested in partnering with Sandia through research and recruiting
- Promote Sandia as a student ambassador by reaching out to student organizations, organizing classroom presentations, and encouraging students to apply for employment at Sandia
- Engage with the Sandia community on campus, including previous and current Sandia interns and special program participants
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program at Purdue University
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- 60+ completed credit hours (or equivalent) completed in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.5/4.0
- Currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline
- Programing experience in C/C++, assembly, and Python
- Experience working with embedded systems and micro-controllers
- Experience working on cyber security problems, including software reverse engineering and binary analysis
Academic Alliance is partnership model for realizing the synergies between universities and Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDCs) like Sandia National Laboratories to help define the future of engineering for national security. Universities like Purdue have made an institutional commitment to partner with Sandia. Academic Alliance is establishing new mechanisms to engage with the next generation of STEM students and collaborate on bleeding-edge research, making them especially attractive as close collaborators and talent pipelines. Sandia has assigned a manager to work on site at each of the out-of-state campuses.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.