Sandia National Laboratories R&D Surety Systems Engineer (Experienced) - Pantex Facility in Pantex, Texas
The 9420 Surety Systems Engineer (SSE) develops, implements, and maintains strategies to lead the R&D project team in successful product qualification and delivery. SSEs interface across multiple enterprises, integrating all team members in relevant multidisciplinary technology areas. They exercise critical thinking to identify, assess, and mitigate risks through the practical application of defect prevention to develop a safe, reliable, and robust product. SSEs provide critical R&D support throughout the entire product realization lifecycle; this support includes requirements engineering and traceability, validation and verification (V&V), supply chain risk management, adversarial threat assessment, and crucial technical documentation.
Projects span across all phases of the product realization lifecycle from conceptual design and development to production and maintenance/retirement. Opportunities exist in Amarillo, TX. Some domestic travel is required to support business needs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Integrate systems and subassemblies during the last stages of production to ensure successful system functionality and safety.
- Apply technical judgment using advanced engineering principles, analysis, and prevention-based methods to recognize and formulate innovative solutions for a wide variety of technical challenges related to electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, software engineering, computer science, and materials science.
- Collaborate with R&D teams to cultivate independent, necessary, feasible, unambiguous (to include tolerances), and verifiable system requirements; aid teams in ensuring the design meets performance requirements.
- Lead research and development teams in identifying and transforming unknown technical challenges into known technical risks to ensure and improve the safety, security, and reliability of the product.
- Determine and manage critical design and production parameters; identify manufacturing activities that affect product performance.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams to develop verification methods for complex requirements, often from a combination of analysis and simulated environmental testing.
- Interface with NNSA design agency and the production agency to ensure design for manufacturability and mitigate risks and defects early on.
- Author analyses, requirements traceability reports, verification/validation plans, qualification plans, and essential engineering authorizations that ensure the product fully meets its requirements and design intent.
- Lead drawing reviews and contribute to design reviews for the project team, ensuring requirements have been successfully integrated into the design definition.
- Use scientific methods to identify issues and risks and formulate well-constructed engineering solutions, collect data through observation and experimentation, and develop and test hypotheses; anticipate, innovate, and deliver technical solutions.
- Independently assess supply chain risk management activities and adversarial threats relevant to a specific component, subsystem, system, or program; lead colleagues in developing mitigation and protection plans; advise management on formulated technical solutions.
- Apply systems engineering principles to research, design, and develop experiments and processes to demonstrate that the product meets design intent, or to predict its behavior under intended operating conditions.
- Lead project teams through the corrective action process.
- Use statistical knowledge to understand production feasibility, capabilities, or processes; use physical and computational simulation, analysis, and evaluation as verification.
- Bachelor’s and Advanced (Master’s or PhD) degree in relevant science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) discipline plus two years of relevant experience
- Product Development or Manufacturing work experience.
- Implementing R&D surety engineering principles, tools, methodologies, and best practices.
- Conducting supply chain risk management activities, evaluating and mitigating adversarial threats
- Designing and qualifying test hardware, software, and test equipment
- Evaluating and qualifying suppliers, improving product performance, developing performance metrics, implementing process controls and quality plans.
- Identifying and reducing risk in a high-consequence environment.
- Applying risk-based approaches to evaluate rigor level of product qualification activities.
- Implementing production process improvements and reducing production deficiencies while maintaining and improving performance standards.
- Developing manufacturing processes factoring product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing manufacturing methods and equipment.
- Defining and reviewing specifications for gauges, fixtures, tools, and testers needed for inspection and product acceptance.
- Authoring qualification plans, requirements maps, test plans, and measurement assurance plans.
- Managing engineering projects (leadership experience).
Additional desired qualifications include:
- Design assurance acumen, including requirements engineering and configuration management.
- Technical analysis acumen, including SPC, FMEA, RCA, HALT/HASS, Mistake Proofing, Design of Experiments, and Fagan Inspections.
- Ability to solve complex problems in the absence of clear direction (experience in ambiguous environments).
- Ability to facilitate high-quality standards while establishing and maintaining effective and productive relationships with internal and external customers at all experience and authority levels.
- Familiarity with Nuclear and Nuclear Explosive authorization requirements from 10CFR830, DOE orders 425.1D and 452.1E.
- In-depth understanding of Defense Programs Business Process System (DPBPS) requirements and specifically the Design Agency and Production Agency roles as necessary to realize product at Pantex.
- Familiarity with Pantex weapons information business systems as they relate to implementation of Design Agency Requirements.
The Surety Engineering group (9420) is a center of excellence for research and development (R&D) Technical Quality at Sandia National Laboratories. With multidisciplinary engineers at numerous sites, 9420 provides R&D hardware and software surety engineering expertise throughout the entire product realization lifecycle, interfacing across various technology areas in support of high-consequence systems. We deliver strong technical solutions that increase customer confidence against loss, damage, and errors by minimizing a product’s risk through the prevention, early detection, and mitigation of defects, resulting in cost and schedule savings while concurrently increasing the reliability and safety of a given system. We advocate for the use of best engineering practices and lessons learned to develop high-reliability, high-performance products that overcome the nation’s most complex national security challenges. 9420 also owns the National Security Quality Training (NQT) program, which trains scientists and engineers across the laboratories on consistent, risk-based approaches to technical problems. Our engineers play a critical role in R&D project teams responsible for realizing high-consequence, low-volume hardware and software products, providing customized engineering support that ensures the appropriate qualification and testing evidence meets design requirements in a predictable, timely, and sustainable manner.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT