Sandia National Laboratories W87-1 Systems Engineer - Mechanical (mid-career) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a driven, mid-career R&D Systems Engineer with a Mechanical Engineering background to join our new, diverse and growing systems engineering team for the W87-1 Modification Program! This is a rare opportunity to mold the design and process from concept to delivery within a new program. This program will also allow for a variety of projects and tasks to align with your interests and specializations.
Are you a talented engineer who can handle a wide variety of roles and responsibilities in a collaborative work environment? Do you enjoy working in a small, closely knit team of outstandingly hardworking engineers? In this exciting and dynamic role, you may be performing a wide array of engineering functions, from crafting design concepts on the system level, to developing and testing actual prototypes, and qualifying innovative fabrication and assembly techniques. Engineers in this role support systems and/or component engineering efforts across all phases of projects spanning from conceptual-design studies, to feasibility/cost studies, to full scale engineering. Along with fellow engineers, this role also involves engaging and collaborating regularly with personnel across multiple Sandia organizations, as well as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), production agencies throughout the NNSA nuclear security enterprise, and Department of Defense (DOD) organizations.
The W87-1 Modification Program is in phase 6.2- feasibility study and design options. Systems engineers within this program:
- Manage system-level design architecture analysis that combines a number of component parts or subsystems into a complete functional system
- Lead and implement test planning, test execution, requirements derivation
- Collaborate on maturation of requirements for a specific area or component
- Lead integration activities with other systems engineers and product realization teams
- Team with W87-1 PRTs and MRPs
- Provide technical consultancy on critical design elements
- Present at technical design reviews
- Conduct cost account management
- Represent Sandia on multi-organizational project teams
- Bachelor's degree plus 5 years’ of related experience or Master’s degree plus 3 years' related experience; or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related discipline; or equivalent related experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development
- Academic or job experiences in areas such as: engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DoE Q security clearance
- Experience working on engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Familiarity with computational simulation and modeling tools and/or computer aided design tools - Creo/ProE, SolidWorks etc.
- Familiarity with development of specifications for components and systems
- Experience with Earned Value Management
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, including the ability to develop and present briefings that are clear and compelling
- Experience in a leadership role
- Ability to thrive in a high-energy, collaborative, team focused environment
- Knowledge and/or experience of system engineering concepts and principles
The W87-1 System team is responsible for designing and qualifying the W87-1 warhead and for working with the GBSD missile System Project Officer (SPO) to integrate the warhead with the missile. The team comprises advanced-degree technical staff with backgrounds in electrical, mechanical, and systems engineering. Additionally, the team includes core partners in project management, reliability, quality, nuclear safety, surveillance, engineering sciences, and material sciences. The W87-1 system team collaborates closely with LLNL as Design Agencies for the program. The system team also participates in multiple subgroups supporting the USAF Project Officers Group (POG).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.