Sandia National Laboratories Systems Technical Lead (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a Systems Technical Lead for the Mk21 Fuze program. The Mk21 Fuze program is a major weapon modernization program at SNL, and unique among the modernization programs as a Strategic Partnership Program (SPP) fully funded by the U.S. Air Force. Systems Engineering and Program Management are led out of California, and we have close partnerships with design and qualification efforts for the program led from New Mexico. The program is in Phase 6.4, Production Engineering, just beginning Process Prove-In (PPI) hardware builds at our Production Agency partner, Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC), and will soon begin final qualification testing.
Our Systems Technical Lead is an experienced engineer who keeps a finger on the pulse of all technical issues facing the program. The job requires balancing a variety of roles and responsibilities within the program including, but not limited to, serving as primary SNL representative for the Air Force SE&I subgroup, Control Account Manager (CAM) oversight for SE&I control accounts (“SE&I SuperCAM”), and primary Systems point of contact with other SNL organizations that partner with the Fuze program. Strong critical thinking skills and effective communication abilities are essential.
The primary responsibilities for the Fuze Systems team include overall program management including execution of Earned Value Management (EVM), primary interface to customer (Air Force), other external agencies including National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA) and Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC), and Sandia organizations including Arming and Fuzing Assembly (AFA) PRT, W87 Systems department and Sandia Production (SP), execution of system level development testing, and systems level engineering and integration.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Lead integration activities with System Engineering & Integration (SE&I) Subgroup and and Product Realization Teams (PRTs)
- Represent Mk21 Fuze Program in various forums both internally and externally
- Develop and/or present material for design reviews, customer and sponsor meetings, and SE&I meetings
- Provide technical consultancy on critical design elements
- Collaborate and consult on system test planning, test execution, and analysis activities
- Provide analysis support for technical requirements revisions
- Support Earned Value Management (EVM) planning and execution
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related field plus six or more years of relevant experience; or a Master's degree in relevant field plus two or more years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain DOE Q security clearance
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Previous team leadership experience
- Previous Product Realization Team (PRT) experience on a NW program
- Familiarity with Earned Value Management (EVM)
- Master’s Degree in relevant field plus five or more years of experience
- Active Q clearance
Together, the two Mk21 Fuze Systems Engineering departments in CA:
- Serve as primary interface to the U.S. Air Force (AF) customer
- Provide overall program management
- Assure system qualification, including running flight testing and adapting the joint test assembly for use with the new fuze
- Create system and flowing requirements for the arming and fuzing assembly team
- Provide a new fuze that meets or surpasses all of the AF customer’s requirements, working closely with component organizations, Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC), and Sandia’s W87 system engineering department
Completing this work requires professionals with expertise in system qualification, as well as in systems, electrical, and mechanical engineering. Our multi-disciplinary teams work closely with other organizations at Sandia and within the nuclear security complex to fulfill our responsibilities. These collaborations not only help ensure that our products meet requirements but also provide our staff opportunities for travel, professional growth, and mentoring.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.