Sandia National Laboratories Systems Engineer - Mechanical (Experienced) in Livermore, California
We are seeking an experienced Systems Engineer with a mechanical engineering background to lead engineering systems development activities for future Sandia programs and interface with internal and external customers. This person can be located at either our Livermore, CA (preferred) or Albuquerque, NM sites.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Plan, conduct, and execute Sandia's science and engineering programs within the spectrum of fundamental research, development, or demonstration.
- Create and apply scientific theories and laws and engineering methods used within scientific and engineering disciplines to develop or demonstrate new designs, concepts, materials, machines, products, processes, or systems.
- Synthesize anticipated future deterrence needs to define weapon system and subsystem requirements
- Define and develop advanced and exploratory weapon systems architectures
- Conduct or direct system-level design architecture analysis that combines a number of component parts or subsystems into a complete functional system.
- Define future technology development needs for Sandia
- Develop advanced engineering demonstrator and/or test units, conduct testing, and analyze test results
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Mechanical Engineering, or relevant technical discipline with at least two years relevant experience; or Ph.D. in these disciplines.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q security clearance.
- Evidence of excellent communication skills, including strong writing, interpersonal, and formal briefing capabilities.
- Evidence of the ability to contribute within team environments and in conjunction with diverse collaborators.
- Evidence of independent initiative in the development of new ideas or programs.
- Evidence of the ability to conduct and lead engineering work in a systems context.
- Background and understanding of nuclear weapons across the lifecycle is desired, but training in the organization to fill experience gaps is acceptable.
The Advanced and Exploratory Systems Department has responsibility to provide system-level leadership for advanced and exploratory activities across the Nuclear Security Enterprise. The department is currently pursuing numerous laboratory-wide activities to enable a more Agile, Affordable, and Assured Nuclear Weapons Stockpile. These activities include, but are not limited to, developing weapon system architectural designs, exploring system integration options for future missile systems, and developing physical and function demonstration test units for future systems as part of demonstrator programs, providing system context and future technologies needs to internal laboratory-wide research programs, and partnering with the broader Sandia community. In addition, the department is responsible for establishing and building internal and external partnerships with NNSA Federal Program Managers, Air Force program managers, Sandia nuclear weapons component organizations, the Sandia science & technology community, system analysis and strategic partnering groups, the Kansas City Plant National Security Campus (NSC), and many others. With its sister group in Sandia/NM, this department is responsible for the leading the overall direction of Sandia advanced and exploratory engineering efforts as it pertains to our future nuclear weapon deterrence.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.