Sandia National Laboratories Software Engineer (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you passionate about your work and looking for opportunities to apply your experience to explore innovative solutions? Join a dynamic team that solves significant issues and challenges for our nation's security!
We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer (S&E, R&D Computer Science). You will be architecting high consequence national security capabilities supporting several US government customers. Your work will have direct impact to our war-fighters, maintain national security, generate tangible results that will continually reinforce your commitment to the team and cultivate your creativity.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Lead and collaborate with diverse design teams to support multiple programs/teams simultaneously.
- Utilize your skillset in software system architecture, software system implementation, technical documentation, unit and integration testing, reliability and performance assessment, and/or systematic technology insertion.
- Partner with Software Engineers, System Engineers, and management to implement solutions to customer needs, architect software systems, develop code and unit tests, develop software tools and infrastructure to support the software development team.
- Provide on-call support for software discrepancy resolution in our production environment, work on the development and execution of test plans and procedures, perform system integration and testing, and write software documentation and reports.
- Develop and pursue partnerships with internal and external technical specialists in information technology, software, and communications to build creative technical designs to meet requirements and the needs of our end users.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (e.g. electrical, computer, and software engineering related fields) plus 8 or more years of related experience; a Master’s degree in these fields with a minimum of 4 years’ related experience; or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience with Java and Typescript
- Ability and willingness to travel for business up to 25% of time
- Ability to obtain and maintain DOE Q and SCI security clearances
- Proven experience with Test-driven development and test methodologies
- Experience with any of the following: Apache Karaf, Apache Camel, Mina/Netty, OSGI, JMX, JDBC, Apache Aries, Log4J2, Apache CXF
- Proven experience with Relational Databases (e.g., Oracle PL/SQL, SQLite) and Not Only SQL (e.g. NoSQL, Cassandra)
- Existing DOE Q clearance and/or SCI clearances (or equivalent)
The Special Programs II Department (08773) has been described as stimulating, impactful, and demanding. We focus on building and deploying a versatile set of situational awareness tools consisting of graphical web interfaces, translation processors, and specialized communication systems. You will have the opportunity to wear many hats when you join our team. Every single day that you come to work will be different. We will need you to be agile and have the ability to prioritize different activities. Our projects span numerous technical disciplines from systems engineering, software development, network and infrastructure design, and information assurance. Our projects cover all phases of the system development lifecycle from inception to operations, and range in duration from days to years. Our team partners closely with our customers to understand their mission needs and quickly develop robust meaningful solutions.Special Program's unique infrastructure, operational mindset, deep domain expertise, and technical experience builds distinct and extraordinary capabilities for our nation and the people who put their lives on the line to protect it.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This job posting is at the Principal level. Member and Senior level employees are not eligible for movement into this job. Level promotions are not permitted on this requisition.
Employees must remain in their current position for one year before applying for a new position, with the exception of student interns. Application of this requirement will not supersede the Laboratories’ collective bargaining agreements. See collective bargaining labor agreements for represented bidder eligibility requirements for represented employees.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.