Sandia National Laboratories Research & Development, Product Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a R&D, Mechanical Engineer so serve as a Product Engineer. You will join the Environmental Controls Product Realization Team (PRT) for the W80-4 cruise missile warhead to lead the design, development, production, and qualification of several nuclear weapon subcomponents.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Lead the development of the design, fabrication, and qualification of seals, gas valves, vacuum tooling & other products in concert with multi-disciplinary subject matter experts and testing personnel within and external to Sandia National Laboratories.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science or a related discipline;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
Travel up to 25% of the time will be an essential function of this job.
- Exceptional communication skills as demonstrated by the creation of high quality documentation of previous work;
- Experience with high-reliability product or subcomponent design & test;
- Experience in thermal/mechanical/electrical/environmental qualification of products;
- Experience leading multidisciplinary product development teams;
- Experience in mechanical design of fixtures, tooling, or related equipment;
- Experience with vacuum system design & operation;
- Ability to work on multiple objectives with aggressive time frames;
- Demonstrated ability to design to challenging requirements;
- Previous work experience at Sandia or within the NNSA complex;
- Active DOE “Q” Clearance.
The Exploratory Engineering Solutions Department (8645) is responsible for designing, developing, and deploying engineered solutions to counter chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear threats. The department is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists engaged in science-based engineering and component development to support a broad range of research and development activities. The projects within 8645 often involve teaming with other groups with expertise in molecular biology, synthetic chemistry, radiation physics, and nuclear weapons to develop prototypes; impacting how researchers study fundamental phenomena; or turning basic scientific understanding into functional capabilities. The department supports a number of government agencies and expects to grow with new customers.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.