Sandia National Laboratories Research & Development Mechanical Design Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a dedicated and passionate R&D, Mechanical Engineer in the Environmental Controls Product Realization Team (PRT) for the W80-4 cruise missile warhead to assist in the design, development, production, and qualification of several nuclear weapon subcomponents.
Are you ready for a challenge and willing to do creative research? Join this diverse and passionate team of high performing individuals and achieve success while making a difference.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Provide primary design support to product lead and qualification lead engineers for the design, fabrication, qualification & test of desiccants, seals, gas valves, vacuum tooling & other products in concert with multi-disciplinary SME's and testing personnel within and external to Sandia National Laboratories.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM discipline (e.g. mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, materials science);
- Experience with design and development of mechanical systems (this should include design, assembly, modification, testing and troubleshooting);
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Experience with mechanical product, tooling, fixturing, and mold design (CREO parametric design software preferred), especially for aerospace applications;
- Experience with mold design for polymer components;
- Experience with elastomer seal design;
- Experience in the design of high reliability mechanical or electrical components;
- Experinece with vacuum technology & vacuum leak testing;
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple objectives with aggressive schedules;
- Demonstrated ability to design to challenging requirements and work on a team;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
The Exploratory Engineering Solutions Department (8645) is responsible for designing, developing, and deploying engineered solutions to counter chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear threats. The department is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists engaged in science-based engineering and component development to support a broad range of research and development activities. The projects within 8645 often involve teaming with other groups with expertise in molecular biology, synthetic chemistry, radiation physics, and nuclear weapons to develop prototypes; impacting how researchers study fundamental phenomena; or turning basic scientific understanding into functional capabilities. The department supports a number of government agencies and expects to grow with new customers. .
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.