Sandia National Laboratories R&D, Systems Engineer (Experienced)- Livermore in Livermore, California
9420 Systems Engineers develop, implement, and maintain strategies to lead R&D project teams in successful product qualification and delivery. They exercise critical thinking to identify, assess, and mitigate risks through the practical application of defect prevention to develop a safe, reliable, and robust product. 9420 Systems Engineers provide critical R&D contributions throughout the entire product realization lifecycle, including requirements engineering and traceability, validation and verification (V&V), risk analysis, and crucial technical documentation.
Projects span across all phases of the product realization lifecycle from conceptual design and development, through to production, maintenance, and retirement. Projects include both nuclear and non-nuclear components, subsystems, and systems, as well as some capability development. Some domestic travel is required to support business needs.
Based on your interests, you will improve national security through your contributions to high-consequence components, subsystems, and systems that could include:
- Power Sources (Batteries)
- Hi-Reliability Electronics
- Web + Embedded Software (V&V)
- Advanced Electro-Mechanical Components
- Firing and Embedded Systems
- Simulated Testing
- Neutron Generators
- Arming and Fuzing Systems
- Gas Transfer Systems
- Missile, Air, & Space Defense
- Transportation Safeguards
On any given day, you might :
- Apply Systems Engineering principles to research, design, and develop tests and processes to demonstrate that the product meets design intent, or to predict its behavior under intended operating conditions.
- Lead product development teams in identifying and transforming unknown technical challenges into known technical risks to ensure and improve the safety, security, and reliability of the product.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams to develop verification methods for complex requirements, often from a combination of analysis and simulated environmental testing.
- Interface with customers, design agency, and production agency to ensure design for manufacturability and mitigate risks and defects early on in the product lifecycle.
Author analyses, requirements traceability reports, verification/validation plans, qualification plans, and essential engineering authorizations that ensure the product fully meets its requirements and design intent.
Assess adversarial threats relevant to a specific component, subsystem, system, or program; Lead colleagues in developing mitigation and protection plans
- Advanced (Masters or PhD) degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or other relevant discipline plus 2 years of relevant experience; OR a Bachelor’s degree and 7 or more years of relevant experience may be considered in place of an Advanced degree.
- Product development or manufacturing work experience.
- Designing and qualifying hardware, software, and test equipment.
- Applying risk-based approaches to evaluate rigor level of product qualification activities.
- Preventing, identifying, and mitigating technical product defects and risks.
- Understanding the nature of system problems and leading teams through resolution activities.
- Implementing production and/or process improvements to reduce production deficiencies while maintaining and improving performance standards.
- Authoring qualification plans, requirements maps, test plans, and measurement assurance plans.
Additional desired qualifications include:
- Design assurance acumen, including requirements engineering and traceability
- Technical analysis acumen, including SPC, FMEA, RCA, HALT/HASS, Mistake Proofing, Design of Experiments, and Fagan Inspections.
- Ability to solve complex problems in the absence of clear direction (experience in ambiguous environments).
- Ability to implement high-quality standards while establishing and maintaining effective and productive relationships with internal and external customers at all experience and authority levels.
The Surety Engineering group (9420) is a center of excellence for research and development (R&D) Technical Quality at Sandia National Laboratories. With multidisciplinary engineers at numerous sites, 9420 provides R&D hardware and software surety engineering expertise throughout the entire product realization lifecycle, interfacing across various technology areas in support of high-consequence systems. We deliver strong technical solutions that increase customer confidence against loss, damage, and errors by minimizing a product’s risk through the prevention, early detection, and mitigation of defects, resulting in cost and schedule savings while concurrently increasing the reliability and safety of a given system. We advocate for the use of best engineering practices and lessons learned to develop high-reliability, high-performance products that overcome the nation’s most complex national security challenges. 9420 also owns the National Security Quality Training (NQT) program, which trains scientists and engineers across the laboratories on consistent, risk-based approaches to technical problems. Our engineers play a critical role in R&D project teams responsible for realizing high-consequence, low-volume hardware and software products, providing customized engineering support that ensures the appropriate qualification and testing evidence meets design requirements in a predictable, timely, and sustainable manner.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.