Sandia National Laboratories R&D S&E, Computer Scientist in Livermore, California
We seek a computer scientist with a focus in applied mathematics, high-performance computing, and information sciences. The successful candidate will be a quintessential member of a team focused on advancing the frontiers of theory-guided data science research. Initial work will involve various aspects of reduced order modeling, with a focus on the discovery of structure in data to drastically reduce the cost of simulating nonlinear dynamical systems at extreme-scale. The tools developed will be deployed within several large-scale, high-fidelity Sandia application codes to enable many-query applications such as design optimization and uncertainty quantification. Successful candidates will have a background in model reduction, computational fluid dynamics (CFD), hypersonics, uncertainty quantification, C++, MPI, and high-performance computing. Successful staff are expected to demonstrate technical, programmatic, and operational leadership for high impact to National Security Programs, as well as publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals and contribute to the library of open-source software. The staff member will be responsible for planning, conducting, and executing the work as part of a collaborative multidisciplinary team of researchers within and extending beyond the Data Science department. The ability to interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
• Ph.D. degree in computer science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering or science discipline
• Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise;
• Expertise in CFD, hypersonics, model reduction;
• Experience in C++, MPI, and high-performance computing;
• Strong academic performance (i.e. high GPA);
• Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment;
• Record of advancing the state-of-the-art in applied mathematics and computational science, and other related fields of study;
• Demonstrated ability to acquire, prepare, and characterize real-world data for subsequent analysis;
• Experience in uncertainty quantification, machine learning.
8759 provides strong expertise in data science and analytics, supporting Sandia's physical sciences and engineering mission partners by enabling the extraction of critical insights from extreme-scale observations, simulations and experiments. Capabilities in 8759 combine recent advances in applied mathematics and computer science, with expertise in UQ, reduced order modeling, and feature identification techniques. These capabilities will complement and leverage existing research in other 8700, 1400 and other Sandia departments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT