Sandia National Laboratories R&D S&E, Computer Science in Livermore, California
We are seeking both PhD and Masters level statisticians to join an interdisciplinary team of researchers growing a foundational Data Science research effort with applications to cyber security. Drawing from a broad set of capabilities and tools, our staff are challenged by data-intensive research problems that lead to fundamental advances and peer-reviewed publications in areas such as machine learning, statistics, graph analytics, multi-linear algebra and online-optimization. Successful staff are encouraged to demonstrate technical, programmatic and operational leadership for high impact to national security programs, as well as publish and present outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed journals and at conferences and develop open-source software.
The staff member will be responsible for planning, conduction and executing work as part of a collaborative multi-disciplinary team of researchers within and extending beyond the Data Science department. The ability to interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
- Requires a bachelor’s and master’s degree in relevant STEM discipline plus two or more years experience; or bachelor's and doctorate in relevant STEM discipline
- Professional experience in statistical inference, data mining, predictive modeling
- Strong programming skills
- One high level language (Python, R, Matlab, etc.)
- One lower level language (C, Java, etc.)
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience collaborating with researchers from other disciplines
- Strong portfolio of both applied and theoretical work
- Ph.D. or Master's, plus 2 years' relevant experience in Statistics, Operations Research, Machine Learning, or related Data Science field
Peer-reviewed publications in at least one of the following fields
- Geo-spatial statistics
- Natural language processing
- High-dimensional optimization
- Bayesian statistics
- Network security
- Adversarial machine learning
- Strong academic performance (i.e. high GPA)
- Publication record indicating recent peer-reviewed work in relevant areas
- Experience with network security
- Leadership potential
The Data Science & Cyber Analytics Department develops new techniques and tools in machine learning, data analysis, and numerical and discrete algorithms. The department is especially focused on matrix and tensor methods, adversary-aware analytics, at-scale streaming and sampling methods, graph and network analysis, and game theory. The department generates publications in leading technical journals and conferences as well as software that is freely available to the research community. These techniques are largely focused on real-world data with a particular focus on cyber applications. Our efforts impact a wide range of domains ranging from national security applications to basic and applied research.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT