Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Engineer - Handling Gear & Joint Test Assembly (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a R&D Mechanical Engineer to perform a wide range of mechanical engineering activities in support of one or more projects, the size and duration of which typically range from individual assignments to ten-person efforts, and from one to three years. Staff members in this and similar positions have opportunities to advance their technical and subject matter expertise, and to fill roles that require increasing levels of responsibility, project management skills, and interfacing with customers, sponsors, line, and program management.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Define customer needs and concept generation through production, deployment, and field support, and to be multi-disciplinary in nature, involving mechanical and electrical engineers, designers, analysts, materials scientists, fabrication specialists, and test personnel.
- Support a large and very diverse body of legacy hardware and the associated activities and users.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Technical knowledge and competencies appropriate to the position.
- Thorough knowledge of and applied experience with scientific and engineering methods and with the discipline’s standards for the ethical conduct of research.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with designing, planning, and executing research, design, and development projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with implementing Sandia policies affecting research, design, and development activities, projects, or initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to team across disciplines.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline, or equivalent:
higher degree (MS, PhD) in relevant discipline; or
engineering or scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
Experience in Mechanical design, fabrication, and testing of piece parts and assemblies.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q security clearance.
- Ability to travel.
- Mechanical component or prototype fabrication, or interfacing with and directing appropriate facilities to fabricate mechanical components or prototypes.
- Creation, interpretation, and review of production drawings.
- Computational analysis using standard commercial systems.
- Experience working in or with the National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA) and/or the Department of Defense.
Sandia/California’s Handling Gear and Joint Test Assembly (JTA) Department develops and supports advanced electronic and mechanical subsystems to support the Nuclear Weapons Program. Our group is responsible for handling gear, test gear, and weapon container development; certification; and stockpile support for all weapons in the nuclear stockpile. These responsibilities include ensuring that every weapon and weapon subsystem is managed, lifted, and transported in a safe and secure manner according to recognized standards. Our group is also responsible for JTAs, which are instrumented weapon configurations for flight tests jointly sponsored by the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy. These tests are used to confirm the performance of nuclear weapon systems in realistic flight environments. Such testing is critical to Sandia’s stockpile stewardship mission.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.