Sandia National Laboratories Project Manager (Experienced) in Livermore, California
Department 8152 has a vacancy for a Project Manager to support the Cyber Security & Resilience Program, which is a portfolio of projects for the Department of Homeland Security that has annual revenue of $26M. The Project Manager will function at both a program and project level, applying expertise to planning and execution of complex science and/or engineering projects. They will work in partnership with technical managers and staff to design and implement a PM framework and lead the delivery of service through effective and integrated partnerships. An ability to establish and mature relationships and lead in an ambiguous environment will be critical for success in this position. While program leadership resides in California, remote support from New Mexico is an option for qualified internal candidates.
Primary Job Duties:
- Lead a cross-functional team of internal stakeholders including but not limited to Legal, Business Development, Procurement, Strategic Partnership Projects (SPP) Agreements and Finance.
- Represent the program and/or projects with internal stakeholders, external sponsors, and technical vendors.
- Work with the project technical leads to execute project management activities including project plan development, project monitoring and control, and integrated change control.
- May work with technical leads and/or on their own to accept variance reporting and make decisions to take corrective actions.
Requirements and Scope Management:
- Utilize existing requirements analysis to ensure that all required work is identified and appropriately managed.
- Develop project plans, WBS, schedules, and milestones appropriate to the scale of the project.
- Partner with technical leads to identify schedule risk and lead teams to develop variance recovery plans.
- May work with technical leads to determine task definition and sequencing, duration estimates, schedule development and control to ensure that the project is completed on time.
- Manage processes for ensuring that the project is completed within budget constraints.
- Lead teams to develop cost variance recovery plans.
- Oversee and direct work of staff performing monitoring and control functions.
Human Resource Management:
- Perform resource planning, including recommending resource adjustments and/or partnership opportunities.
- Design and execute processes that ensure timely generation, collection, dissemination, storage, and disposition of project information.
- Prepare timely and accurate reports that highlight key technical and programmatic issues and summarize information at a manageable level.
Risk and Opportunity Management:
- Understands risks and opportunities to ensure that they are integrated with schedule and budget.
- May design and facilitate program development and planning reviews.
- Works with Sandia procurement and suppliers to ensure that goods and services of the proper quality are obtained when needed by the project, according to the project schedule.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and experience leading standard project management practices including project plan development and control, scope management, project scheduling, cost estimation and management, quality assurance, project staffing, communications planning and management, risk and opportunity management, and procurement management.
- Proficiency in tools and applications commonly employed in project management activities such as Microsoft Excel, Project, and/or Primavera.
- Experience in managing successful projects throughout all phases.
- Ability to lead without positional authority.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure and/or ambiguous environment.
- Demonstrated teaming skills, including the ability to lead partnerships and work effectively with other organizations, internal functions, project sponsors, and suppliers.
- Demonstrated experience in making decisions across project controls and business disciplines.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to develop and articulate a strategic plan and successfully implement it to deliver desired results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to tailor presentation to audience.
- Ability to apply both technical and business concepts
- Requires Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline and 5 years of demonstrated experience in Project Management; or Master’s degree in relevant discipline and 2 or more years of demonstrated experience in Project Management; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Relevant discipline includes Project Management, Business, Accounting, Economics, or similar.
- Ability to achieve PMP or equivalent certification within 2 years of hire.
- Ability and willingness to obtain a Sensitive Compartmentalized Information (SCI) clearance.
- Ability to travel to Washington DC and Albuquerque NM. Frequency is negotiable, but minimum estimate is 6-12 trips per year.
- Must be flexible to rotate to other assignments as priorities within Broader National Security Mission change.
- Active DOE Q clearance
- Current PMP certification
- Knowledge of SPP/SiPP contracting
- Defense industry experience
- Experience working within the DOE National Labs complex
- Experience representing company externally with customers on matters of business
The Broader National Security Mission Partners Department (8152) is responsible for providing matrixed business expertise to line organizations and/or programs. We develop and integrate partnerships across business operations to enable mission success and help shape the infrastructure of the future.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a SCI security clearance.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship and SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.