Sandia National Laboratories Project Manager (Experienced) in Livermore, California
Our department seeks an experienced Project Manager to provide programmatic leadership for a high rigor component as part of the nuclear weapons programs at Sandia National Laboratories. The individual will be involved in component engineering efforts to include conceptual-design studies, feasibility/cost studies, full scale engineering design, qualification and production efforts. The individual will not only need to have command of the programmatic aspects of these endeavors but will also require a desire to achieve a level of technical understanding of the engineering products to be delivered. He or she will be responsible for PM processes and/or activities involving costs, schedules, and assured technical performance, including reporting on Earned Value metrics. The individual will interact routinely with personnel across multiple SNL organizations, as well as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), production agencies throughout the NNSA nuclear security enterprise, and Department of Defense organizations.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Provide leadership to ensure the success of an experienced cross-disciplinary team
- Author and implement project plans, estimate and manage costs, generate and oversee integrated schedules, manage technical and programmatic requirements, manage risks and opportunities, assure quality product and manage information processes
- Bridge the communication between the technical team and the customer/systems group
- Serve as the primary point of contact with customers, production agencies, and line management for technical issues
- Identify the resources, skills, and training required to support program objectives
- Negotiate roles, responsibilities, and deliverables of the technical team
- Coordinate with other organizations to negotiate requirements and deliverables
- Lead Earned Value reporting with the support of the programmatic team
Other responsibilities include:
- Working with representatives from the systems organizations, subcomponent organizations, qualityassurance, program management, and the production facility
- Working with the technical team, customers, and quality organizations to ensure a comprehensive qualification plan and requirements verification strategy
- Working closely with production agency counterparts to ensure a smooth transition from development to full-scale production
- Ensuring timely and effective communication among team members, with management, and with the system organization
- Occasional travel as required by the project team
- Requires Bachelor's degree in Business or degree relevant to project management accountabilities and 3 years of demonstrated experience in Project Management; or Master's degree in relevant discipline
- Previous job experience involving challenging engineering designs, complex engineering systems integration activities, or the oversight of multi-agency technical programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficinecy in tools and applications commonly employed in project management activities
- Demonstrated teaming skills, including the ability to work effectively with other organizations, project sponsors and customers, and suppliers
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to develop and articulate a strategic plan and implement that plan across a cross-functional team
- Active Q or Top Secret clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain Sigma 14 and 15.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
- Previous experience as a project lead/project manager
- Experience with Earned Value Management (EVM)
- Familiarity with a major scheduling tool (Primavera P6 preferred)
- Previous experience designing high-reliability systems
- Experience working with design and production agencies
- Experience defining requirements and determining their qualification strategy; writing detailed functional and test specifications; coordinating the development of new technologies to meet expanding scope
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and interface with science and engineering technical management and staff
The Nuclear Weapons (NW) Project Management department is responsible for providing Project Management support to the Nuclear Weapons Programs at the Sandia National Laboratories California site. The Nuclear Weapons Programs are responsible for assuring the safety, reliability and security of U.S. nuclear weapons, enabling the defense of our nation through our nuclear strategic deterrent. The Nuclear Weapons Programs’ three principal thrusts are: (1) overseeing the enduring nuclear weapons stockpile; (2) innovative analyses and evolution of warhead systems, subsystems, and components; their production and deployment; along with the development of supporting technologies; (3) and the safe, effective, and environmentally responsible dismantlement and disposal of weapons retired from the stockpile. Informed with technical expertise in engineering disciplines, the department provides and employs program/project management (PM) resources to plan, execute, manage, and report cost, schedule, performance, requirements, risk and opportunities management, aspects of quality assurance, and information management functions associated with moderate to large scale science, technology, and engineering (ST&E) efforts that span the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) enterprise.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT