Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee in Livermore, California
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee specializing in applied mathematics and computer science. The successful candidate will be part of a team investigating various aspects of reduced order modeling, with a focus on the discovery of structure in data to drastically reduce the cost of simulating nonlinear dynamical systems at extreme scale. The tools developed will be deployed to enable high-fidelity models within many-query applications such as design optimization and uncertainty quantification. Successful candidates will have a background in uncertainty quantification, tensor methods, Krylov-subspace methods, and optimal projection methods. Successful candidates are also expected to demonstrate technical leadership, publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and contribute to development of open-source software where relevant to project needs. The ability to interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
• Ph.D. degree in computer science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering or science discipline;
• Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise;
• Expertise in uncertainty quantification, tensor methods, Krylov-subspace methods, and optimal projection methods;
• Experience in Matlab, C++.
• Strong academic performance (i.e. high GPA);
• Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment;
• Demonstrated research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, workshop and/or conference organization, and editorial roles.
• Experience in model reduction, machine learning.
8759 provides strong expertise in data science and analytics, supporting Sandia's physical sciences and engineering mission partners by enabling the extraction of critical insights from extreme-scale observations, simulations and experiments. Capabilities in 8759 combine recent advances in applied mathematics and computer science, with expertise in UQ, reduced order modeling, and feature identification techniques. These capabilities will complement and leverage existing research in other 8700, 1400 and other Sandia departments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT