Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - R&D Network Scientist in Livermore, California
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee - R&D Network Scientist with a focus in computer science, applied math, statistics, and graph analytics to join an interdisciplinary team of researchers growing a foundational data science research effort with applications to cyber security. Network science is concerned with the structure and dynamics of graphs (and generalizations of graphs), dynamical processes on such graphs, and the design and analysis algorithms that compute with and on them. Drawing from a broad set of capabilities and tools, our staff are challenged by data-intensive research problems that lead to fundamental advances in areas including graph analysis, machine learning, multilinear algebra, statistics, sampling and streaming methods, with application to analysis of networks and traffic on them, text, and other discretized data. Successful staff are encouraged to demonstrate technical, programmatic, and operational leadership for high impact to national security programs, as well as publish and present outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed journals and at conferences, and to develop open-source software.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct research in areas including graph analysis, machine learning, multilinear algebra, numerical optimization, sampling and streaming methods, computational simulation an,d high-performance computing, with application to network and cyber security analysis.
- Plan, conduct, and execute the work as part of a collaborative multidisciplinary team of researchers within and extending beyond the Data Science department. The ability to interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
- PhD in Computer Science, Applied Math, Operations Research or other quantitative discipline (conferred within 5 years prior to employment)
- Fluent in high-level programming languages such as Python or MATLAB;
- Fluent in one or more object oriented languages like Java, Scala, C#, C++;
- Experience with Spark, Hadoop, Pig or other MapReduce-based architectures;
- Experienced in operating Linux-based systems;
- Record of advancing the state-of-the-art in network and graph analysis, machine learning, applied statistics, applied mathematics, and other related fields of study;
- Ability to travel;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance
- Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise;
- Experience with High Performance Computing;
- Passionate about working with large unstructured and structured data sets with Demonstrated ability to acquire, prepare, and characterize real-world data for subsequent analysis;
- Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment;
- Demonstrated community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, and workshop and/or conference organization.
The Data Science & Cyber Analytics Department develops new techniques and tools in machine learning, data analysis, and numerical and discrete algorithms. The department is especially focused on matrix and tensor methods, adversary-aware analytics, at-scale streaming and sampling methods, graph and network analysis, and game theory. The department generates publications in leading technical journals and conferences as well as software that is freely available to the research community. These techniques are largely focused on real-world data with a particular focus on cyber applications. Our efforts impact a wide range of domains ranging from national security applications to basic and applied research.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.