Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Quantum Computing in Livermore, California
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee specializing in the theory of quantum computing and quantum algorithms. You will be part of a team investigating the robustness of quantum algorithm implementations on near-term devices. The position will be located in Livermore, California, and there will be opportunities to collaborate with a wide range of partners, including researchers at Los Alamos National Lab, Dartmouth, and UC Berkeley. Previous experience with software development is a significant advantage. You will be expected to demonstrate technical leadership and publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Your ability to interact and collaborate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
- Ph.D. degree in physics, applied mathematics, computer science or a related engineering or science discipline obtained within the last five years.
- Research experience as demonstrated by technical publication and or presentations.
- Experience in the quantum computing and/or quantum algorithms.
- Experience with numerical simulation/computation.
- Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment.
- Demonstrated research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, workshop and/or conference organization, and editorial roles.
- Previous exposure to machine learning, data science and associated fields.
The Extreme-scale Data Science & Analytics department provides strong expertise in data science and analytics, supporting Sandia's physical sciences and engineering mission partners by enabling the extraction of critical insights from extreme-scale observations, simulations and experiments. Capabilities in our department combine recent advances in applied mathematics and computer science, with expertise in UQ, reduced order modeling, and feature identification techniques. These capabilities will complement and leverage existing research in other Sandia departments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.