Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Microfluidics Research in Livermore, California
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Scientist to join a diverse team working to develop advanced detection technologies for a range of projects in support of our national security mission. We are seeking individuals with a doctorate in chemistry, engineering or a related discipline (e.g., analytical chemistry, chemical engineering, biomedical engineering) with expertise in microfluidics as well as point-of-need technologies, bio-instrumentation, and/or molecular diagnostics.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Be a strong individual contributor within a multidisciplinary team comprising engineers, biologists, chemists, and programmers, within the framework of a milestone-driven research project;
- Help design, fabricate, and optimize functionality of micro- or nanofluidic technology in support of our biological mission;
- Analyze and integrate data results as part of a cross-disciplinary team;
- Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at seminars and conferences.
- PhD in Chemistry, Engineering or a related discipline (e.g., Analytical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering);
- Strong expertise in microfluidics (e.g. droplet microfluidics, digital microfluidics, electrophoresis or other laminar flow approaches);
- Direct experience with microfluidic design and fabrication, and some experience employing technology in a realistic application (e.g. in clinical or environmental samples);
- Demonstrated record of high technical achievement (e.g. as evidenced by publication in high-impact scientific journals).
- Demonstrated ability to conduct creative, independent research;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
Knowledge and experience in one or more of the following:
Synthetic biology and Gene-editing;
- Next Gen sequencing and Nucleic acid analysis (e.g., qPCR, RT- PCR);
- Analytical techniques (e.g., chromatography, mass spectrometry, fluorimetry);
- BSL-2 agents, sample preparation of biological samples;
- Rapid prototyping and 3D printing;
- Automation and control (e.g. MATLAB, Arduino), fluid dynamics (e.g. COMSOL).
Biotechnology and Bioengineering Department, located in Livermore, California and Emeryville, CA, performs biological and bioengineering research with applications in national security, healthcare and alternative energy. We are a diverse research group with a focus on both basic and applied biological research. We seek to address problems with strong ties to national security, such as biodefense and health security, through new research approaches and advanced technology development including microfluidics and nanofluidics. We also seek to develop the science base required by industry to produce clean, efficient, and cost-effective biofuels and other bioproducts on a commercial scale. This work is carried out in partnership with the Department of Energy's Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI). Our department is highly multidisciplinary, comprised of researchers with expertise in many disciplines of biology (molecular biology, microbiology, virology, immunology and biochemistry), chemistry (analytical, organic and physical) and engineering (chemical, mechanical and biomedical).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT