Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Fluid and Thermal Modeler and Code Developer in Livermore, California
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher to develop models and computational methods for the simulation of complex reacting flows and heat transfer, including flows in porous media, turbulent reacting flows, and radiative heat transfer. The successful candidate will implement new multi-physics models in Sandia simulation codes, and work with analysts and experimentalists to verify and validate these models. Applications of particular interest are the response of organic materials in fire environments, combustion of composite materials, and/or gas storage and reaction in powder beds. Opportunities will exist to expand these modeling capabilities to impact several of Sandia’s key mission areas, including nuclear stockpile safety and energy security. External publication and presentation of unclassified research and analysis work is encouraged wherever possible. Members of our department interact closely with engineers and other researchers and analysts across the laboratory at both the California and New Mexico sites.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work on a number of projects concurrently and must work across several diverse teams.
- Ph.D. degree in aerospace, mechanical, material science, computer science, applied mathematics, or a closely related field
- Knowledge and experience with code development for complex physics, such as reacting flows, porous media flows, thermal transport, electrochemistry, pyrolysis chemistry, or a closely related field is required
- Experience with numerical methods for coupled multi-physics simulations and experience with finite element method are also required.
- Experience and proficiency in C++ coding
- Strong publication record and a demonstrated ability to make original contributions to engineering science
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q security clearance
- Knowledge and experience with computational modeling of turbulent combustion, pyrolysis chemistry, heat transfer, and multiphase flows are desired
- Background including applied math is also beneficial. Knowledge of multiple programming languages (python, etc) is a plus
- Experience with machine learning and other data science methodologies
- Experience programming for parallel computing on GPUs
Sandia California's Thermal/Fluid Science and Engineering Department is a diverse multidisciplinary community of engineers and researchers who specialize in computational fluid mechanics and heat and mass transfer. The work mix in the group includes theory and modeling, scientific and high-performance computing, and applied engineering analysis of experiments and mechanical designs. The group is committed to two primary roles in science-based engineering at Sandia: (1) developing new computational methods and tools to describe fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and reacting materials; (2) performing computational analysis to predict the design performance of engineered systems in defense, energy, and industry applications. Recent activities within the group include combustion and heat transfer modeling, multiphase and porous media flow modeling, turbulent heat transfer modeling, and modeling and simulation of hydrogen storage systems, algae production, wind turbine blades, and other energy systems. Recent research efforts have focused on applying machine learning, data science, uncertainty quantification, and verification and validation techniques to our models.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.