Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Computational Biologist in Livermore, California
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
We are seeking a computational biologist that is passionate about their work and wants to see their research have direct impact on innovative projects. Are you looking to do innovative and creative research? Do you want to be a member of a high performing team? You would join our dynamic and diverse team to use your experience in chemoinformatics and data science to develop cutting-edge software for biological retro-synthesis and machine learning by using state-of-the-art equipment and facilities to explore creative solutions.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop and distribute software, using existing machine learning packages;
- Perform work collecting chemical training data, typically from web-based APIs;
- Use creativity in determining new ways to use machine learning to solve fuel and bio-products related problems.
- PhD in Biology, Bioengineering, Computer Science, Informatics, Data Science, Chemistry or related fields;
- Experience in metabolic modeling, flux balance analysis and/or chemical engineering;
- Experience in Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Natural Language Processing and/or Linear Programming;
- Demonstrated programming expertise in high-level scripting language (Perl/Python);
- Demonstrated track record of publishing in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- Strong personal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively in an interdisciplinary team;
- Experience using and developing bioinformatics/chemoinformatic tools to analyze genomic, transcriptomic, metabolomic and proteomic datasets and use them to generate detailed metabolic maps;
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems and in web development, database design and implementation;
- Experience with chemical databases (e.g., Metacyc, KEGG, PubChem);
- Experience with Open Source and Version Control (i.e., Git, Github).
The Systems Biology Department performs biological and bioengineering research with applications in national security, healthcare, and alternative energy. The department is composed of a multidisciplinary team of staff, postdocs, technologists, and students with expertise in microbiology, virology, molecular biology, computational biology, and analytical chemistry. The basic research activities in the department are focused on the identification and characterization of clinical and environmental pathogens, developing a systems-level understanding of host-pathogen interactions, and microbiomes relevant to human health and the environment. Applied research activities are focused on enzyme and microbial engineering for biofuels development, biological detection, and medical diagnostics..
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.