Sandia National Laboratories Polymer Lab Support Technologist (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
Are you passionate about your work and want to utilize state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to be a member of a high performing team?
We are seeking a R&D Laboratory Technologist to work in Sandia's Polymer Chemistry Laboratory. In this role, you will design and carry out experiments to elucidate the best formulation, processing conditions, and properties of polymers or organic compounds for a variety of long term and walk-in projects. You will participate in ongoing projects including the optimization of adhesive bonding, preparation and ex-situ characterization of polymers for hydrogen exposure experiments, long term aging of polymers (conductive and other types of materials) and the formulation of new foams, desiccants and adhesives.
On any given day, you will:
- Cast and mold numerous polymeric materials
- Develop conformal coatings and potting of electronic assemblies
- Manage the lab including ordering supplies, coordinating equipment maintenance and repair, supervising casual laboratory users, coordinating hazardous waste management
- Work independently as well as part of a collaborative team
- Interact with customers and walk-in requests
You have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Materials Science or related discipline
- Experience interfacing equipment to data acquisition systems
- Experience in conducting research, investigating anomalies and recommending solutions on problems
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q security clearance
You also have one, or more, of the following:
- Basic engineering skills such as understanding mechanical drawings
- Familiarity with fabrication of mechanical test specimens
- Familiarity with the operation of FT-IR, DSC, DMTA, and/or TGA
- Active DOE Q clearance
The Materials Chemistry Department is a group of Chemists, Material Scientists, and Chemical Engineers who actively supports the nation's nuclear weapons stockpile by providing materials expertise to SNL's non-nuclear components. We use our understanding of chemical properties to design, evaluate and exploit monomers, polymers and functional materials. Our core competencies span foams, composites, adhesives, plastics, surface finishing and electrochemical deposition. We have the facilities for materials characterization, design prototyping and WR processing.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.