Sandia National Laboratories Personnel Security Specialist (Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a highly-motivated Personnel Security Specialist to function as the Badging Program Coordinator. The Personnel Security Program is responsible for implementation of requirements for access authorizations, unclassified foreign visits and assignments, classified visits, unclassified visits, badging, and Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 requirements.
On any given day you may be called upon to:
- Act as subject matter expert on all program procedures and DOE orders to ensure that requirements are met and implemented appropriately.
- Assist management in coordinating coverage of all front desk badging operations.
- Recommend process improvements, coordinate and manage purchases, compile metrics and management reporting products and develop programmatic correspondence, articles, and forms to ensure that personnel are aware of requirements pertaining to personnel security.
- Participate in internal and external audits and assessments including program self-assessments and identify and implement corrective actions to resolve issues and concerns.
- Administer on-the-job training for program personnel
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field plus five or more years of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE-Q level security clearance
- Active DOE Q or TS clearance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective internal customer relationships, and anticipate, understand, and react to customer needs.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, analyze, and resolve problems, issues, and concerns.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate work and obtain results using independent judgment with minimal direction and supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work well with a team.
- Proven ability to follow through to completion on multiple tasks, often with frequent interruptions.
- Proven ability to work with and maintain confidentiality with private and sensitive information according to internal policies and external regulatory requirements.
- Professional understanding of DOE security directives. Knowledge of governmental regulations related to administrative practices and assigned business function.
- Ability to positively interact with and effectively assist customers in person, on the phone or via email.
The Security Programs and Planning organization is a diverse team of security professionals who collaborate to implement effective and efficient security services and solutions to ensure the protection of national security assets. Our organization has responsibility for Classification, Classified Matter Protection and Control, Personnel Security, Badging, Security Incident Management, and Deployed Security support.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.