Sandia National Laboratories National Security Systems Research Analyst (Early Career) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a National Security Systems Research Analyst (R&D S&E, Systems Research and Analysis) to join our dynamic team!
Are you passionate about contributing to a larger cause in the interest of national security? Do you seek to devise effective solutions to complex problems? Join our team and help solve issues for our nation's security!
As a National Security Systems Research Analyst, you will use your technical foundation to help develop strategies, priorities, and requirements for technology solutions. You will collaborate with our multidisciplinary team to provide decision insight to customers on a wide range of complex multi-domain problem areas which include:
- Nuclear deterrence
- Radiological/nuclear security
- Biosecurity and biodefense
- Emerging threats and mission areas
* On any given day, you may be called on to:*
- Understand customer needs and analyze problems in the national security domain, to enable connectivity between operational organizations and our research and development teams
- Formally define problems, formulate requirements, develop technical approaches, gather information and apply analytical and modeling methods to design and objectively evaluate proposed solutions
- Team across different disciplines to conduct innovative research and analysis on emerging technology trends and national security needs
- Present results as appropriate at open conferences or classified meetings
- Effectively communicate complex system issues and ideas in a concise way that enables action, to customers and stakeholders at all levels of government within the United States as well as internationally
- Travel and meet with sponsors to support execution of programs
- Master’s degree in relevant field, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- Ability to travel as needed (may require occasional to frequent travel depending on project)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy Q-level security clearance
Ability to travel as needed (may require occasional to frequent travel depending on project)Ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy Q-level security clearance
- Masters in engineering (e.g., electrical, mechanical, chemical), physical science (e.g., physics, chemistry, biology), computer science or cybersecurity, or other degree requiring significant qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Additional years of relevant experience
- Proven ability to take initiative and to be innovative; demonstrating an analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- Expertise in analysis of complex systems, decision analysis, risk analysis, international security, operational policy, expert elicitation, and/or communication with non-technical audiences
- Software development competence, software engineering proficiency, or machine learning expertise
- Background in solving practical problems in science and engineering that involve encounters with real-world data, especially large data sets
- Evidence of professional service to the community, such as service on program committees, workshop organization, and/or editorial or review work
- Ability to obtain and maintain an SCI-level clearance
Additional years of relevant experienceProven ability to take initiative and to be innovative; demonstrating an analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitudeExpertise in analysis of complex systems, decision analysis, risk analysis, international security, operational policy, expert elicitation, and/or communication with non-technical audiencesSoftware development competence, software engineering proficiency, or machine learning expertiseBackground in solving practical problems in science and engineering that involve encounters with real-world data, especially large data setsEvidence of professional service to the community, such as service on program committees, workshop organization, and/or editorial or review workAbility to obtain and maintain an SCI-level clearance
The Systems Research & Analysis III Department (8716) is part of the six-department System Analysis & Engineering Group in the Sandia/California DHS & Defense Systems Center. We provide national leaders with reliable, unbiased and comprehensive information on viable engineering and strategy options, and on the effectiveness, risks, benefits, and potential unintended consequences of those options. Projects span DHS, DOE, DoD, and internal sponsors. We are a multidisciplinary group with a strong science and engineering emphasis, skilled at applying a broad systems perspective to national and global security challenges. The analysis work of the department has a cyber security emphasis in collaboration with cyber-related organizations across the laboratory in CA and NM, and department researchers also lead and support efforts in domains including nuclear deterrence and stability, homeland security, global security, and internal Sandia decision support. In these complex problem areas, we employ independent thinking, creativity, and a variety of advanced science and engineering tools and methods across the lifecycle of national security issues. Projects range from months to years in duration, with teams forming in dynamic collaborations across the Group and with organizations throughout the laboratory to draw upon world-class technical expertise.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
This job posting is at the Member level. If a Senior or Principal level employee applies and is selected, they will be moved into the Member level and their salary will be adjusted if necessary. Level promotions are not permitted on this requisition.
Employees must remain in their current position for one year before applying for a new position, with the exception of student interns. Application of this requirement will not supersede the Laboratories’ collective bargaining agreements. See collective bargaining labor agreements for represented bidder eligibility requirements for represented employees.