Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Technologist (Experienced) in Livermore, California
An opportunity exists for a self-starting, high-performing technologist to support the design, analysis, and testing of gas transfer systems and components. The successful candidate will design, assemble, and operate high-pressure and vacuum engineering systems in our High Pressure Experimental Facility. This facility provides services for high pressure flammable gas testing as well as explosive component assembly and testing. The successful candidate will be responsible for experimental operations, data analysis, and documentation of results. The successful candidate must be a team player and have a strong commitment to safety.
Develops, builds, modifies, repairs, maintains, aligns, evaluates, operates, and experiments with a wide variety of mechanical apparatus and equipment.
Drafts detailed drawings for fabrication.
Devises, fabricates, and assembles new or modified mechanical components or assemblies.
Sets up and tests complete prototype units and subassemblies under operational conditions.
Analyzes data and recommends modifications to components or test procedure to meet desired specifications.
Problem-solving skills and ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to team and interact with a variety of partners, customers and management levels.
A strong commitment to safety.
- High school diploma plus three or more years of directly related experience
- Experience in a laboratory R&D environment
- Experience with general machine shop practices
- Experience in data acquisition
- Experience designing and assembling gas handling equipment
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q security clearance
The GTS Experimental Operations group is a group of engineers and technologists who are responsible for the operation of laboratory experimental facilities that support the Gas Transfer Systems mission. The group operates a high pressure testing facility, and a welding/brazing facility that conduct a range of high-rigor experimental research and development activities including high pressure gas experiments, vacuum experiments, explosive testing, mechanical assembly and light fabrication, welding and brazing development, and other gas transfer system characterization and development tests. Our personnel routinely interact with other Sandia engineering and research groups, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Los Alamos National Laboratory, production agencies (located in Kansas City, Savannah River, and Texas), the National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA), and the Department of Defense (DOD).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
- BS in mechanical engineering (or a related field) or AA degree or equivalent experience in mechanical engineering technology
- Experience working with high-pressure systems
- Experience working with vacuum systems
- Experience using mechanical design software
- Welding/brazing experience
- Knowledge of electrical circuits
- Knowledge of drawing standards and programs