Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Technician (Experienced) in Livermore, California
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art concepts to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues for our nation's security?
We are seeking an experienced Mechanical Technician (R&D Laboratory Support Technologist) to collaborate with our technical staff in our experimental laboratories.
Your work will be in the following areas:
- Assembling experimental apparatus and diagnostics, performing tests and collecting data for experiments developed by technical staff,
- Taking technical and ES&H training courses required to complete the work safely,
- Keeping the lab and equipment maintained and in good working condition.
You have the following:
- High school diploma with at least five years’ relevant experience.
- Hands-on experience with mechanical systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US DOE Q security clearance.
You also have one, or more, of the following:
- Associates degree in Engineering Technology, or a related field.
- Experience with mechanical fixtures, including development of mechanical drawings for fabrication.
- Experience in material and mechanical testing, particularly the use of MTS operating systems and software.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following is highly desired: control systems, oscilloscopes, strain gage application and use, and optical measurement systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Experience or desire to work in an R&D or manufacturing laboratory environment.
- Experience working with and through machine shop vendors for part fabrication
The Mechanics of Materials Department performs experimental and analytical studies to characterize and predict the thermal-mechanical behavior of materials, from atoms to continuum, specializing in fracture and failure. Our experimental work covers the spectrum of discovery to characterization to model validation. Motivated by observations, we develop mathematical models to simulate material responses under various loading and environmental conditions. The fidelity of our models and simulations varies from atomic to continuum scales. We develop numerical methodologies so that our material models can be implemented in high-performance computing simulations. Our experimental capabilities include characterizing materials over a wide range of temperatures and strain rates, developing micro- and nanoscale strain and displacement diagnostics, and testing subsystems to support model validations.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.