Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Engineer - Systems (Experienced) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a driven R&D Systems Engineer with a mechanical engineering background to join our diverse and growing systems engineering teams. Are you a sharp engineer who can handle a wide variety of roles and responsibilities in a collaborative work environment? Do you have a special interest in defense and national security? Are you energized by the thought of contributing towards a new program in a National R&D Laboratory? In this exciting and dynamic role you may be performing a number of engineering functions, from crafting design concepts on the system level, to developing and testing actual prototypes, to guiding technology maturation efforts, and qualifying innovative fabrication and assembly techniques. You will also be supporting systems and/or component engineering efforts across all phases of projects spanning from conceptual-design studies, to feasibility/cost studies, to full scale engineering. Along with fellow engineers, you will be engaging and collaborating regularly with personnel across multiple Sandia organizations, as well as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), production agencies throughout the NNSA nuclear security enterprise, and Department of Defense organizations.
After applying, you may be interviewed and/or hired by one of several systems engineering focused divisions at Sandia, such as: W80-4, or W87-1 Warhead Life Extension Programs, Stockpile Systems Engineering, or Advanced & Exploratory.
On any given day, depending on your specialization and interests, your responsibilities may include a few or all of the following tasks:
- Managing system-level design architecture analysis that combines a number of component parts or subsystems into a complete functional system
- Leading and implementing test planning, test execution, requirements derivation
- Conducting environmental testing, qualification of development and production hardware
- Collaborating on maturation of requirements for a specific area or component
- Leading integration activities with other systems engineers and product realization teams
- Providing technical consultancy on critical design elements
- Presenting at technical design reviews
- Conducting cost account management
- Representing Sandia on multi-organizational project teams
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related discipline plus 7 or more years’ related experience; or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related discipline plus 3 or more years’ related experience; or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related discipline; or equivalent engineering and scientific experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- Academic or job experiences in areas such as: engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Experience working on engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Familiarity with computational simulation and modeling tools and/or computer aided design tools - Creo/ProE, SolidWorks etc.
- Experience with development of specifications for components and systems
- Experience with Earned Value Management
- Top-notch verbal and written skills, including the ability to develop and present briefings that are clear and compelling
- Experience in a leadership role
- Ability to thrive in a high-energy, collaborative, team focused environment
- Currently holding an active security clearance; DOE Q or DOD TS
The various Systems Engineering Departments are part of the Sandia/California Weapon Systems Engineering Center which is responsible for assuring the safety, reliability and security of U.S. nuclear weapons enabling the defense of our nation through our nuclear strategic deterrent. The departments are comprised of groups of dedicated and motivated engineers with advanced technical degrees, primarily in mechanical and electrical engineering.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.