Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Engineer - Systems (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a R&D Systems Engineer with a mechanical engineering background to join the systems engineering team for the W80-4 warhead life extension program. This large program offers a wide range of roles and responsibilities for a hardworking engineer. You will originate design concepts for future systems and components, informed by modeling and simulation techniques; develop and test actual prototypes; guide technology maturation efforts that will enable the realization of these approaches; and evolve and qualify innovative fabrication and assembly techniques. You will collaborate with personnel across multiple Sandia organizations, as well as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), production agencies throughout the NNSA nuclear security enterprise, and Department of Defense organizations.
Depending on the skills and interests you bring to the team, your responsibilities may include:
- Development and verification of system and component requirements
- System mechanical design, including design of system-owned mechanical components, development of mechanical envelopes, and negotiation and management of component mechanical interfaces.
- Integration of components within a system, including collaboration and negotiation with component development teams and production partners.
- Represent Systems in component Product Realization Team
- Development of production ready drawings for full scale production
- Development of qualification plans
- Development and execution of test plans for environmental tests, such as shock and vibration
- Planning and execution of system design trade studies and technical guidance on critical design elements
- Control Account Manager
- Presenting at technical reviews
- Development, review, and presentation of programmatic information, including schedules, cost data, and risk identification and handling plans
- Represent Sandia on multi-organizational (i.e. NNSA, DoD, LLNL, SNL) project teams
- You have both bachelor’s and master's degrees, or higher, in Mechanical/Industrial/Civil Engineering, or related field. We are also willing to consider applicants with only a bachelor's degree if you have equivalent experience and/or achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform independent research and development.
- You are able to travel up to 25%.
- You are able to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance.
You also bring one, or more, of the following:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including ability to present to diverse audiences
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience working on engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with creation and review of product drawings
- Experience with fabrication of prototypes
- Experience with environmental tests
- Experience using CREO
- Experience with requirements development for components and/or systems
- Experience in Earned Value Management
- Active DOE Q or DOD TS security clearance
The W80-4 System Integration Departments the Weapon Systems Engineering Center is responsible for assuring the safety, reliability and security of U.S. nuclear weapons enabling the defense of our nation through our nuclear strategic deterrent. The W80-4 System Integration Departments are comprised of a group of dedicated and motivated engineers with advanced technical degrees, primarily in mechanical and electrical engineering. A major effort for this organization is the engineering design and development in support of a Life Extension Program for a nuclear warhead (W80-4). The W80-4 warhead will be deployed on the future U.S. Air Force Long Range Standoff (LRSO) cruise missile that will replace the existing Air Launched Cruise Missile (ALCM)/W80 Warhead weapon system in our nation's nuclear deterrent stockpile. This is a long term program that will require close collaboration with many different departments within Sandia as well as with organizations outside of Sandia such as LLNL, NNSA, Production Facilities, and the Department of Defense (DoD).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.