Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a R&D Mechanical Engineer to join our diverse and growing component design engineering teams. Are you an intrinsically driven engineer who can handle a wide variety of roles and responsibilities in a collaborative work environment? In this exciting and dynamic role, you may be performing a number of engineering functions, from crafting design concepts, to developing/testing actual prototypes, to guiding technology maturation efforts, and qualifying innovative fabrication and assembly techniques. You will be supporting engineering efforts across all phases of projects spanning from conceptual-design studies to full scale engineering. Along with fellow engineers, you will be engaging and collaborating regularly with personnel across multiple Sandia organizations, as well as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories, Los Alamos National Laboratories, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), production agencies throughout the NNSA nuclear security enterprise, and Department of Defense organizations.
After applying, you may be interviewed and/or hired by one of the several engineering focused departments at Sandia/CA, such as Telemetry Engineering and Weapon Subsystems groups.
On any given day, depending on your specialization and interests, your responsibilities may include a few or all of the following tasks:
- Designing for components and manufacturability
- Conducting environmental testing, qualification of development and production hardware
- Implementing instrumentation and data acquisition systems
- FEA mechanical modeling
- Rapid prototyping of development hardware
- Participating in integration activities with other engineers and product realization teams
- Providing technical consultancy on critical design elements
- Presenting at technical design reviews
- Representing Sandia on multi-organizational project teams
Conducting environmental testing, qualification of development and production hardwareImplementing instrumentation and data acquisition systemsFEA mechanical modelingRapid prototyping of development hardwareParticipating in integration activities with other engineers and product realization teamsProviding technical consultancy on critical design elementsPresenting at technical design reviewsRepresenting Sandia on multi-organizational project teams
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- Academic or job experiences in areas such as: engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and collaborate with internal organizations and external production facilities and suppliers.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Experience working on engineering design, qualification, production, or related modeling/simulation projects
- Familiarity with computational simulation and modeling tools and/or computer aided design tools - Creo/ProE, SolidWorks etc.
- Experience with development of specifications for components and systems
- Experience with Earned Value Management
- Top-notch verbal and written skills, including the ability to develop and present briefings that are clear and compelling
- Experience in a leadership role
- Ability to thrive in a high-energy, collaborative, team focused environment
- Currently holding an active security clearance; DOE Q or DOD TS
Weapons Subsystems 5 supports the weapon stockpile and modernization programs by stewarding deployed systems and developing advanced designs for new systems, with a focus on exceptionally high confidence, quality, and reliability.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.