Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical Design Engineer (Experienced) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a R&D S&E, Mechanical Engineering
We are looking for an engineer to work in a collaborative environment with a multidisciplinary design team developing a novel structural component for a current life extension program (LEP) effort. This specific role will require you to be agile, with each day bringing new challenges. On any given day you could be asked to:
- Design key component features
- Interface with our systems customer, negotiate requirements, or support trade studies
- Review drawings with our drafting support or the machine shop
- Work with vendors on procurement and fabrication challenges
- Collaborate with our manufacturing lab or our modeling and simulation team
- Support qualification and test activities
- Document and defend design decisions at programmatic reviews
- Masters degree in engineering and 5+ years experience
- Ability to obtain a DOE Q clearance
- MS in mechanical, materials, or aeronautical engineering
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment with design engineering team
- Experience with composite materials design and/or manufacture
- Experience designing electronics housings
- Experience with product design and development
- Experience with CREO/ProEngineer and/or Solidworks
- Experience creating and reviewing mechanical drawings
- GD&T knowledge and practical experience
- Mechanical interface design and ability to perform tolerance analyses
The Weapons Subsystems 3 designs, prototypes and supports mechanical weapon subsystems for high consequence applications requiring exceptionally high confidence, quality and reliability. These projects support a broad mission space including assets that are critical to U.S. national security.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.