Sandia National Laboratories Mechanical CAD Designer (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a highly motivated Computer Aided Design and Drafting Technologist to perform Mechanical CAD design functions.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct tolerance studies, performs calculations and craft product definition in collaboration with engineering and design partners
- Design precision machined components or systems by applying engineering principles and processes to ensure fit, form and function requirements are satisfied
- Confer with engineering and manufacturing staff to resolve design problems
You may be interviewed and/or hired into one of several organizations at Sandia National Laboratories
- Associate's degree (A.S.) in Mechanical Engineering Technology or other relevant degree; or equivalent relevant experience
- Experience using 3D solid modeling application software
- Experience in applying fundamental design principles that relate to product design and manufacturing.
- Experience using Pro/ENGINEER or Creo application software.
- Experience in system, subsystem, or component design.
- Experience in manufacturing and/or inspection, as it applies to product drawing definition.
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) to engineering drawings.
- Experience with configuration management and version control software such as PDMLink
- Prior experience as a machinist
- Consistent track record of demonstrating initiative and getting results.
- Proven interpersonal skills, to include oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products.
- Active US DOE Q security clearance
Our Design Engineering Group (2270) consists of nine design departments who employ experts in CAD and product definition standards as they transform product concepts into creative engineered solutions. Our mission is to (1) Partner with engineering customers to design concepts and model viable solutions, (2) Provide stewardship of product definition throughout its life cycle, and (3) Provide a positive work and learning environment in which staff can master skills, deliver optimal value, and achieve career goal.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.