Sandia National Laboratories Manager - Special Programs in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a R&D Science and Engineering Manager to join our Special Programs II team.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Manage a staff of R&D employees in a 24/7/365 operations environment.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of managing the department, be an integral part of a cohesive team of managers, develop strategic directions in conjunction with the management team, execute that strategy, and work closely with internal partners and federal sponsors to develop future capabilities
- Coordinate employee recruitment, selection, training, mentoring, professional development, performance assessment, work assignments, salary, and recognition and disciplinary actions
- Proactively create and build effective working relationships with staff and managers within our center and across the laboratory, external partners, and sponsors to deliver on current commitments
- Team with your staff and our business support professionals to write proposals for additional work
- Ensure department commitments are executed with management assurance oversight and by managing and coordinating specific deliverables, overall program and project plans, budgets, schedules, staffing requirements and developing trusted relationships
- Foster a culture of inclusion and take an active leadership role in modeling and growing values in diversity, equality, and inclusion
- Master's degree in computer science, physical science, engineering or other science related field plus 4 or more years of proven experience; or equivalent combination of related education and experience
- Experience managing project teams to meet cost, performance and schedule requirements
- Two or more years of demonstrated leadership experience
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills
- Active DOE-Q clearance or equivalent (Such as DoD TS)
- Ability to obtain and hold a DOE TS/SCI clearance
- Consistent record with building positive relationships and working effectively with both internal and external partners including successful proposal negotiations and authorship.
- Experience with quality practices
- Experience with engineering practices
- Experience interacting with multiple government agencies
- Experience with 24/7/365 operations
- Experience producing situational awareness tools
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and lean environment while dealing creatively with resource constraints and uncertainty.
The Special Programs II Department (08773) has been described as stimulating, impactful, and demanding. We focus on building and deploying a versatile set of situational awareness tools consisting of graphical web interfaces, translation processors, and specialized communication systems. You will have the opportunity to wear many hats when you join our team. Every single day that you come to work will be different. We will need you to be agile and have the ability to prioritize different activities.Our projects span numerous technical disciplines from systems engineering, software development, network and infrastructure design, and information assurance. Our projects cover all phases of the system development lifecycle from inception to operations, and range in duration from days to years. Our team partners closely with our customers to understand their mission needs and quickly develop robust meaningful solutions.Special Program's unique infrastructure, operational mindset, deep domain expertise, and technical experience builds distinct and extraordinary capabilities for our nation and the people who put their lives on the line to protect it.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start, or equivalent active security clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD). Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.