Sandia National Laboratories Lead Test Engineer (Experienced) in Livermore, California
Are you a leader who thrives on bringing people together for a common goal? Do you want your work to directly impact and contribute to the mission of national security?
Our Lead Test Engineer role may be the opportunity you’ve been searching for!
The Weapons Subsystems 3 group is seeking an experienced Lead Test Engineer (R&D Mechanical Engineer) to join their multidisciplinary team in designing and developing advanced subsystems. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the qualification program for these subsystems, which are comprised of multiple components. The program will encompass qualification to system requirements.
A Lead Test Engineer at Sandia will:
- Map design requirements
- Create and implement the qualification program
- Work with quality engineers to implement quality methods into the qualification program
- Evaluate prototypes
- Test subsystems
- Support full-up system integration testing, and document results
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechnical Engineering or relevant discipline with 5 years of experience; or a higher degree (MS, PhD) inMechanical Engineering or relevant discipline plus 1 years relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to obtain a DOE Q security clearance
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Demonstrated experience of NW qualification processes, planning, test scoping, execution, and documentation
- Project planning and management skills, creating long term plans and near-term schedules to drive results
- Demonstrated ability to identify and delegate tasks to supporting engineering staff
- Experience working with the DOORS requirements tool
- Experience with FEA modelling
- Experience with project planning tools such as MS Project or preferably Primavera P6
- Experience planning tests and writing test plans
- Experience leading a PRT or large project
- 3 years or more experience working on a PRT or within NW product realization framework
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to communicate development status via TRLs
- Ability to manage trade space and realize defendable down-select decisions
- Experience with mechanical test equipment, instrumentation and product qualification
- Experience working with NWC production agencies and external customers
- Previous work experience at Sandia or within the NNSA complex
- The ability to create innovative solutions to difficult technical problems
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented environment and work cooperatively with other internal organizations, as well as external production facilities and suppliers
The Weapons Subsystems 3 designs, prototypes and supports mechanical weapon subsystems for high consequence applications requiring exceptionally high confidence, quality and reliability. These projects support a broad mission space including assets that are critical to U.S. national security.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.