Sandia National Laboratories IT Infrastructure Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
For Sandia internal applicants, this is a backfill position and this position is promotion eligible.
Are you passionate about your work and relish the opportunity to apply your broad experience across numerous IT infrastructure technologies? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves critical issues for our nation’s security?
We are seeking a highly motivated IT Infrastructure Engineer with system administration experience to join our team.
The IT Infrastructure Engineer will contribute to multi-disciplinary teams and high visibility projects such as storage implementations, hybrid cloud deployments, and high performance data center networking. He or she will covet wearing multiple hats to develop innovative solutions.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Build, manage and support data center infrastructure that is highly available, secure and scalable
- Monitor production environments, troubleshoot alerts & incidents, detect and fix infrastructure problems
- Automate daily operational support tasks and manage system baselines through automation using Ansible playbooks
- Apply expert level infrastructure knowledge across Windows, Linux, VMware, Azure Stack, Pure Storage, HP 3Par, or EMC Isilon
- Integrate and deploy compute, storage, and network infrastructure within an on-premise data center and the cloud
- B.S. in computer science, engineering, information systems, or other relevant discipline; or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q level security clearance
- Demonstrated experience across the following technical domains: Windows, Linux, VMware, Azure, storage, or automation
- Effective project leadership abilities; able to plan and organize within challenging timelines and situations of uncertainty
- Expert knowledge of IT infrastructure and operations with cross-functional experience across network, storage, compute, virtualization, cloud, and automation
- Knowledgeable about collecting metrics, measuring systems, and interpreting data to make decisions
- Passion for continuous improvement including identifying technical gaps and developing innovative solutions
- Experience with infrastructure automation, scripting, and programming tools using Python, PowerShell, or other automation techniques
The Computing Infrastructure Solutions department manages enterprise level computing and infrastructure for Sandia/California, including virtualization, storage, core services, and cloud. A transformational data center modernization project is led out of this department. The group also operates the data center and helps enable enterprise disaster recovery for Sandia.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.