Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Systems Biology R&D Grad Year Round in Livermore, California
We are seeking an Intern - Systems Biology R&D Grad Yearr Round
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct algal biofuels research working on genome assemblies, variant analysis, and other bioinformatic projects
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 30 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Ability to follow protocols and a willingness to ask questions whenever necessary
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
- Candidate should be familiar with molecular biology tools as well as scripting, programming (python, R, perl, or C++) and be familiar with the unix terminal
- Completed graduate level coursework in microbiology, molecular biology, organic chemistry, bioinformatics, computer science, and/or biochemistry
- Experience working in a laboratory
- Interest in bioinformatics and some experience with python, R, qiime2, or other programming languages
The Systems Biology Department performs biological and bioengineering research with applications in national security, healthcare, and alternative energy. The department is composed of a multidisciplinary team of staff, postdocs, technologists, and students with expertise in microbiology, virology, molecular biology, computational biology, and analytical chemistry. The basic research activities in the department are focused on the identification and characterization of clinical and environmental pathogens, developing a systems-level understanding of host-pathogen interactions, and microbiomes relevant to human health and the environment. Applied research activities are focused on enzyme and microbial engineering for biofuels development, biological detection, and medical diagnostics..
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.