Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Software Engineering R&D Graduate Summer in Livermore, California
We are seeking a Intern Summer - R&D Grad
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work in an agile team to design, implement, test and deploy software for commanding and controlling cutting-edge satellite ground systems.
- Tackle challenging remote sensing problems, including the capture, processing, exploitation, visualization and distribution of real-time satellite sensor data.
- Collaborate with architects, developers, and technical leads to collect requirements, design solutions, and deliver extensible software applications.
- Engage with specialists in areas such as data fusion, signal and image processing, data mining, cloud computing, modeling and simulation, service-oriented architectures, big data management, human-computer interaction, visualization, and pattern recognition.
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
- Majoring in computer science, software engineering, or related field
- Proficient in Java
- Experience with JavaFX, Java Swing, or Qt
- Experience with version control in git
- Experience with build systems such as Maven and CMake
- Experience with Agile/Scrum
- Experience with C++
- Experience with databases such as PostgreSQL
The Computer Sciences Group at Sandia National Laboratories/CA conducts research, development, and systems engineering in computer science and engineering to address important national security problems. Staff members work in multi-disciplinary teams and apply their expertise and software engineering skills to a wide range of applications for customers including the Departments of Energy, Defense, and Homeland Security. Staff members also regularly engage with external customers and sponsors.
The group does extensive software research, development, and deployment of:
- Scientific Computing: algorithms and software tools that enable modeling and simulation to play a major role in engineering design, certification, and manufacturing
- Knowledge Environments: Distributed tools and visualization technologies that enable secure scientific, engineering, or analysis collaborations
- High Performance Computing: networking, storage, and load balancing technologies
- Decision Support: tools and technologies to support decision making in complex national security mission areas, including game-based training environments for crisis responders, simulation of social networked systems (including formation and evolution), and system-of-systems modeling of catastrophic events
- Data Analysis: algorithms and tools for supporting exploration, triage, analysis, and visualization of heterogeneous data
- Enabling technologies: algorithms for optimization (including under uncertainty), PDEs, solution of large-scale systems of equations, and uncertainty quantification
- Network Traffic Analysis: algorithms and tools to detect and prevent unauthorized actions on networks
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT