Sandia National Laboratories Intern - High Performance Computing R&D Undergraduate Summer in Livermore, California
Intern - High Performance Computing R&D Undergraduate Summer
On any given day, you may be called on to:
Participate in research and development in the field of High-Performance Computing (HPC). Project areas include:
Engineering sciences workflow systems
- Task-parallel programming models and runtimes
- HPC fault tolerance and formal verification
- High Performance data analytics and parallel computing
- Devops for clustered environments
- Help advance lab projects directed by Sandia researchers while participating in technical research and development
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Strong technical skills including: C/C++/Python/Go programming skills (C/C++/Python/Go), experience debugging software and knowledge of software engineering design principles.
- Knowledge of distributed programming models for scientific computing including experience with MPI and/or other distributed-memory parallel programming frameworks.
- Applicants must be comfortable working in a collaborative environment as part of a team of highly qualified engineers and researchers.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills.
Note: If you have not yet started your undergraduate program, please apply to a high school intern position.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in or experience with conducting self-driven research.
The Computer Sciences and Information Systems Center is the home of computer science and information systems work and capabilities at Sandia's California site. We have capabilities that span across multiple computer science and information systems disciplines. Our activities include computational science and mathematics research, high performance computing, visualization systems research and development, problem solving environments, information security research and operations, and network operations.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.