Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Algal Biofuels R&D Undergraduate Year Round in Livermore, California
We are seeking an Intern - Algal Biofuels R&D Undergraduate Year Round.
The candidate will be involved in laboratory support for algal biofuels research including production of media, autoclaving, algal culture maintenance, bacterial sampling and sequencing, chemical analysis of samples, etc. Additionally, the candidate will pursue a small, guided research project under the direct supervision of a Postdoctoral Researcher.
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Currently attending and enrolled full time in an accredited undergraduate program
- Pursuing a science, engineering, or math major
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 25 hours per week during the academic year, and up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Undergraduate level coursework in general biology and general chemistry, including laboratory skills.
- Ability to maintain detailed research records in a notebook and on a computer.
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic laboratory equipment (balances, pH meter, etc).
- Undergraduate level coursework in microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, and/or biochemistry.
- Laboratory experience in the above disciplines.
- Ability to follow protocols and a willingness to ask questions whenever necessary.
The Systems Biology Department performs biological and bioengineering research with applications in national security, healthcare, and alternative energy. The department is composed of a multidisciplinary team of staff, postdocs, technologists, and students with expertise in microbiology, virology, molecular biology, computational biology, and analytical chemistry. The basic research activities in the department are focused on the identification and characterization of clinical and environmental pathogens, developing a systems-level understanding of host-pathogen interactions, and microbiomes relevant to human health and the environment. Applied research activities are focused on enzyme and microbial engineering for biofuels development, biological detection, and medical diagnostics.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.