Sandia National Laboratories Information Systems & Services Manager in Livermore, California
We are looking for an information systems manager with a solid focus on end-user computing and system administration. If you’ve been looking for a role where your input matters and your decisions have a major impact, this is it. This person will be responsible for the strategic direction, program development and tactical accomplishments of the department. While leading a large IT department, you will need to balance management, customer engagement, and project oversight to achieve success.
You will work with multiple staff, managers, and other enterprise information technology leaders. You will also handle multiple and changing responsibilities to meet the dynamic nature of the position. You will also have the ability to organize a complex schedule and coordinate with corporate resources as needed.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Establish operational objectives and work plans including deliverables, program and project plans, budgets, structures, schedules and staffing requirements
- Lead and manage 36 members of the workforce including both employees and contractors
- Team with enterprise IT service groups in both California and New Mexico
- Handle work rooted in strategic architectures encompassing a diverse set of information systems domains such as hardware, software, data management, networking, systems security, and telecommunications
- Analyze and incorporate work requirements for Sandia and external customers into commercial-off-the-shelf, open source, or internally developed information systems solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline plus eight or more years of experience (or equivalent combination of education and/or applicable experience)
- Minimum of 2 years demonstrated IT leadership experience.
- Minimum 6 years of IT systems & service management, data center operations, server and storage management, virtualization technology, network and systems management, applications support and related project management.
- Travel required between Livermore, CA and Albuquerque, NM facilities.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Experience with continuous service improvement methods (e.g. lean IT, root cause analysis, etc.).
- Experience with IT service management best practices (e.g. service initiation, service design, IT service desk, incident mgt., etc.).
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures and ability to recommend modifications to Sandia's Corporate Policy System operating policies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and customer service skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal and external customers, including the ability to build and manage effective working relationships.
- Experience with information systems engineering concepts and technologies.
- Knowledge of ongoing trends in the information systems field and the ability to understand and work with new and emerging technologies.
- Ability to translate technical terms to layperson's terms and present them to audiences outside of the organization.
- Ability to work closely with customers and suppliers to define expectations and mutual responsibilities.
The Information Systems & Services Department provides enterprise end-user computing capabilities for Sandia/California. Services provided by the department include unclassified and classified deskside support for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems as well as mobile computing and server system administration. The department also delivers tailored IT solutions to meet specific mission line organization operational and/or project needs such as computing infrastructure development and maintenance, cyber policy determination and applications management.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.