Sandia National Laboratories Information Security Scientist/Engineer (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
Are you passionate about research dedicated to keeping systems safe and thwarting cyber intrusions? Are you dreaming of a chance to develop protective technologies, conduct threat assessments, and analyze government, military, and civilian computer networks? If so, you will want to apply for this opportunity to join Sandia's unique multidisciplinary team committed to solving the information security challenges facing our nation. As a champion for Sandia’s Emulytics team, you will engage as a programmatic and technical thought leader to advance cyber experimentation through innovative research and development.
To support Sandia's national security missions, our cybersecurity scientists and engineers engage in a variety of research areas including:
- Cyber experimentation on virtual and real networks
- Network operation, information protection, and resiliency
- Authentication and authorization
- Threat intelligence
- Modeling, simulation, and emulation
- Real-time operating systems (RTOS) and embedded systems, including Internet of Things (IoT)
- Virtualization (system and network)
- Mobile devices and smart technologies
- Industrial control systems and SCADA systems
- Research-based experimental design and analysis
- Programmatic development across national security partners and government agencies
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Cyber Security or related subject plus 4 or more years of related experience; or equivalent
- Experience with virtual testbeds
- Strong programming experience
- Experience leading projects and working with teams
- Ability to obtain andmaintain a Q-level and SCI clearance
- Advanced degree(s) in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Forensics, or Mathematics, Quantitative Analysis with Cyber Experience
- Proven experience conducting research resulting in creative technical solutions
- Well-developed leadership skills with the ability to prioritize and execute in a disciplined and focused manner
- Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to explain complex ideas clearly and concisely as well as how experience has shaped your skillset
- Strong analytical skills
- Creativity and innovative problem-solving skills
- Deep level understanding and experience with one or more of the following: network design, implementation, administration, database systems, web servers, application servers, firewalls, network devices, data science/analytics, virtualization, large scale model environments, network architectures
- Experience auditing code in C/C++, Java, Python, assembly, or other languages
- Familiarity with secure-system design principles and information assurance principles
The Cyber Systems Assessments Department addresses challenging multi-disciplinary cybersecurity problems important to national security. Our group is a unique team whose members develop and deploy operational cybersecurity capabilities, and also conduct cutting-edge research in advanced cybersecurity technologies. Our portfolio emphasizes efforts to secure government and critical infrastructure systems against multipronged, highly sophisticated attacks. Our specialties include enterprise-level vulnerability assessments, and development and assessment of mitigation approaches. We support Sandia's Emulytics program with development of next-generation open-source emulation tools for faster lower-cost deployment and analysis of fully scalable, heterogeneous, live-virtual-constructive enterprise networks. Our technical staff has expertise in computer science, cyber operations, and related fields, and in a wide range of disciplines including vulnerability assessment, countermeasures development and assessment, reverse engineering, malware analysis, VM introspection, intrusion detection, network and host forensics, mobile devices and networks, at-scale virtualization, and enterprise-scale emulation and analysis of cyber events. We support cybersecurity and information operations programs across the federal government, as well as Sandia Cyber Enterprise Security.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance and SCI access, both of which require US citizenship. SCI access may also require a polygraph examination. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain these levels of access may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
This job posting is at the Principal level. Member and Senior level employees are not eligible for movement into this job. Level promotions are not permitted on this requisition.
Employees must remain in their current position for one year before applying for a new position, with the exception of student interns. Application of this requirement will not supersede the Laboratories’ collective bargaining agreements. See collective bargaining labor agreements for represented bidder eligibility requirements for represented employees.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.