Sandia National Laboratories Fire Protection Engineer (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are looking for an energetic Fire Protection Engineer to join our Facilities team. Our fast paced, National Laboratory setting necessitates that the candidate be comfortable with ambiguity and variability of assignment and embrace the value of being in a service group. The individual will be a liaison between electrical, mechanical, and fire protection system subject areas, working in collaboration for new implementations as well as operations, modifications, and upgrades of existing systems. We seek a well-rounded individual, adept at problem-solving in a variety of settings.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Assess fire alarm, fire protection, laboratory gas safety, and other life safety systems, conceptualize potential solutions, make recommendations, and develop project plans
- Perform engineering analysis, calculations, and develop construction drawings and specifications sufficient to define systems for modification
- Create long-term capital improvement plans and develop work packages for building and site fire and life safety systems
- Provide technical direction, studies, and analysis for fire and life safety systems and provide technical guidance for operations
- Review plans for new design construction as well as modifications and improve cost effectiveness and customer satisfaction
- Review and enhance preventive maintenance procedures on fire and life safety system assets
- Ensure compliance with all NFPA testing and documentation of fire and life safety systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or fire protection engineering plus 5 or more years of related experience in all three fields
- Knowledge and understanding of current International Building Code (IBC), California Building Codes, and Fire/Life Safety code (NFPA 101, 75, 72 and related standards)
- Experience designing and building fire protection systems
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to successfully plan, organize, lead, and monitor team efforts to completion
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level clearance
- Master’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or fire protection engineering
- Professional Engineer license (PE) in the State of California or ability to obtain certification within one year of hire
- Experience operating building fire protection systems and assuring compliance with life safety systems requirements
- Ability to think critically and make decisions requiring engineering judgment
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization with both internal and external customers
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and follow through to completion on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects from concept through design and construction
- Experience with AutoCAD or similar drafting software
- Knowledge/experience in facilities design, construction, and O&M industry best practices and standards as it relates to life safety systems.
- Knowledge/understanding of low and medium voltage power distribution and protection
- Detailed knowledge of construction industry and ability to produce specifications for bid purposes
The Customer Operations Department is responsible for providing Operational, Systems, and Maintenance Engineering solutions and support throughout the CA site with intentional alignment to Mission Areas and Site Planning. The team provides customer advocacy and coordination between the facilities departments to facilitate solutions to customer issues and concerns.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.