Sandia National Laboratories Facilities Management Professional in Livermore, California
Using engineering and related technical expertise, works with the customer to define and negotiate facility system requirements that enable mission function and performance. Partners with Facilities Planners to develop conceptual project requirements to meet customer and mission support requirements and defines the necessary resources to enable successful project execution. Plans and directs the execution of projects involving engineered systems, coordinating as required with customers in order to deliver projects according to plan. Applies expertise and experience in one or more engineering disciplines to make judgments crucial to enable the facility delivery of mission requirements. Coordinates Facilities Engineering and Operations resources to determine the most effective integrated solution.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans and directs engineering and technical resources for customer facilities support requirements, coordinating, as required, with work performed in other internal and external organizations.
- Provides leadership and tactical planning for execution of projects and applies engineering or other technical knowledge to achieve project objectives and deliverables.
- Uses engineering judgment in negotiating with customers and program managers to ensure that resources are available to accomplish the work.
- Uses engineering judgment, built upon a strong engineering and technical background, to identify potential facilities operational risks, develops risk mitigation strategies and corrective actions, and recommends risk acceptance or avoidance for facilities operations.
- Negotiates with the customer on matters of customer requirements and limitations.
- Recommends addition, expansion, or discontinuance of projects.
- Initiates, designs, develops, executes, and evaluates new processes, products, or systems for implementing and integrating optimal facilities solutions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge and background in one or more engineering disciplines, such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, structural engineering, or architecture.
- Demonstrated ability to team across disciplines.
- Ability to make decisions requiring scientific or engineering judgment.
- Knowledge of the technical or operational discipline of the assigned facilities area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to successfully plan, organize, lead, and monitor team efforts to completion.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with implementing Sandia’s policies affecting activities, projects, or initiatives.
- Ability to monitor and manage operation budgets, including discretionary spending plans.
- Ability to obtain Certified Facilities Manager (CFM) certification or equivalent.
We are looking for energetic individuals to join our Facilities Management team. We have entry and senior level opportunities in all areas of our organization including engineering, operations, maintenance, planning, and project / construction management. Our fast paced National Laboratory setting necessitates that individuals are comfortable with ambiguity of assignments and embody / embrace the value of being a service group.
We seek individuals adept at problem solving in a variety of settings - individually or as a member of a larger, integrated team. Successful candidates will have the ability to assess and resolve immediate problems related to assignments with internal or external customers. They will possess the general-use and application of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures in one or more areas of specialized knowledge. They will have the ability to make recommendations for action based on analysis and evaluations performed.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant engineering, architecture, or similar technical discipline plus entry level experience (up to two years); or master's degree in relevant discipline; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal and external customers.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and follow through to completion on multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the breadth of one or more of the following roles: engineering, operations, maintenance, planning, and project / construction management.
- Familiarity with building codes and standards (I-Codes).
Our organization operates and maintains existing buildings and utilities; modifies, and constructs new buildings; demolishes substandard structures; and provides site services for customers. This includes providing a variety of logistics services including shipping, receiving, hazardous material transportation, mail services, material handling, fleet services, occupant relocations, event setups, corporate storage, and property management. We enable current-day and future mission success through teaming with the mission in strategic planning that establishes priorities and focuses efforts to nurture and advance the capabilities of our facilities, infrastructure, and operations. We strive to accomplish these activities in an efficient, flexible, safe, and cost-effective manner while creating a work environment that helps attract and retain the best employees to support the objectives of both Sandia and the Department of Energy.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT