Sandia National Laboratories Facilities Maintenance Electrician (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
We are seeking a General Maintenance Technologist (CA) electrician to perform preventive and corrective maintenance in our multi-building office and research facility. Maintenance work may include fixing or replacing parts, light fixtures, control systems, motors, and other types of electrical equipment. Candidates must be able to diagnose and correct electrical problems by studying diagrams, manuals and specifications, troubleshooting systems and conducting tests, repair electrical problems by replacing faulty parts and components, and perform scheduled maintenance.
This position requires working knowledge and experience in electrical power, communications, lighting, and control systems, which may include medium voltage distribution (12kv), standby generators / UPS systems, motor control centers, variable frequency drives, and programmable logic controllers. Will be required to be on call for emergencies/off-normal events after hours on a rotation basis.
We are interested in an individual with strong customer service skills, reasoning abilities, critical thinking and self-determination. On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Read ‘blueprints’, wiring diagrams, and specifications
- Install and maintain wiring, control and lighting systems
- Inspect electrical components, such as transformers, circuit breakers, and UPS systems
- Identify electrical problems with a variety of testing devices
- Install, repair or replace wiring, control and lighting systems, distribution equipment, and / or fixtures using hand tools and power tools
- Follow state and local building regulations based on the NEC
- Completion of a state approved Electrical Apprenticeship Training Program plus five or more years of relevant experience or equivalent
- Experience with commercial and industrial electrical systems and equipment
- Training in the National Electrical Code (NEC) and Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace (NFPA 70E) and an understanding of work hazards, safety precautions, lockout/tagout policies and procedures.
- Experience in reading and interpreting technical drawings and specifications (such as blueprints, wiring diagrams and schematics)
- Must be available to be on call for emergencies/off-normal events after hours.
- Ability to acquire a Q-level security clearance.
- Selected applicants will be required to pass a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.
- Proven experience with building automation systems, computerized maintenance management software, fire / gas safety alarm systems installation and repairs, lightning protection / grounding systems, and/or certified to perform thermography scanning.
- CA State licensed electrician
- Proven experience working in a Facilities Management organization
The Maintenance Team is responsible for performing predictive, preventive, and corrective maintenance at the CA site. This includes maintenance of buildings, utilities, and infrastructure as well as grounds / landscaping and custodial services.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Selected applicants will be required to pass a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.
This job posting is at the Principal level. Member and Senior level employees are not eligible for movement into this job. Level promotions are not permitted on this requisition.
Employees must remain in their current position for one year before applying for a new position, with the exception of student interns. Application of this requirement will not supersede the Laboratories’ collective bargaining agreements. See collective bargaining labor agreements for represented bidder eligibility requirements for represented employees.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.