Sandia National Laboratories Engineering Test Technologist (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This position will support critical programs contributing to national security with a wide range of roles and responsibilities for a talented individual. The individual will perform a wide variety of duties to assist the Engineering Services Environmental Test team with the operation and execution of testing for electromechanical fabrications, components, and assemblies.
The individual will be responsible for assisting in the development and refinement of test set-ups and testing operations on vibration, shock, thermal environment chambers and centrifuges following protocols and procedures which are jointly with our systems engineering customers. The individual will be responsible for the actual hands-on activity level work defined in the procedures. Test Assemblies can be complex and contain a wide variety of hazards including radioactive, pressurized, and/or explosive components. The successful candidate will be trained on specific test equipment and will require additional ES&H courses to work with potentially hazardous items.
On any given day the responsibilities may include:
Operation of engineering laboratory test equipment
Vibration and shock tables
- Thermal conditioning equipment/chambers
- Centrifuges, large and small
- Mass properties apparatus
- Drop table and resonant plate equipment
- Hands-on assembly and installation of equipment, test set-ups and test fixturing/apparatus
- Constructs, troubleshoots, calibrates, adjusts, tests, and maintains equipment, components, devices, or systems
- Develop/author/revise/edit and usage of test plans, operating instructions, schematics and procedures
- Participation in safety and technical reviews
- Works in a laboratory setting monitoring experiments and making and recording observations in support of the development and testing of scientific theories. Supports documentation efforts, including preparing information for scientific and engineering reports and publications. Supports the development of novel diagnostics and their implementation
Analyzes data and recommends modifications to components or test procedures to meet desired specifications.Required:
High school diploma plus three years of directly related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- The ability to work with hand and power tools, material handling equipment, cranes and forklifts, and specialty test equipment
- Experience reading and interpreting engineering drawings, work planning processes, ES&H guidelines and operating procedures
- Ability to travel and off site work to other DOE and DoD locations is required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance
- Selected applicants will be required to take a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.
- Technical degree in relevant discipline
- Willingness to work with explosives, radioactive, and other hazardous material with proper training
- Experience with Nuclear Weapons component/system assembly manufacture, design or testing
- Possess ability to work with variety of personalities, work styles and individuals in a demanding and challenging work environment
- Accept personal responsibility and accountability for your own safety, health, surroundings and wellbeing
- Experience with SNL ES&H documentation including familiarity with Work Planning and Control processes
- Familiar with vault type room (VTR) security and logistics requirements
- Basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
Engineering Services includes the machine shop, inspection, TAG and Environmental Testing, and the Electronic Prototype Lab.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.