Sandia National Laboratories Electromechanical Technologist (Experienced) in Livermore, California
Environmental Test Facility (ETF) personnel are responsible for the handling, logistics, assembly, testing and test readiness of development nuclear weapon systems, sub-systems, and components.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Assemble, disassemble, and provide test support for ground and flight test units
- Serve as the facilities infrastructure POC to ensure that test facilities are maintained in operational ready status
- Construct, troubleshoot, calibrate, adjust, test, and maintain equipment, components, devices, or systems
- Use blueprints, schematics, and test procedures to implement assembly and testing activities
- Travel to various DoD, DOE and defense contract firms to provide technical support for testing, logistics and assembly
- Work in a laboratory/assembly facility monitoring experiments and making and recording observations
- Prepare information for scientific and engineering reports and publications
- Requires high school diploma plus three or more years of directly related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience reading & interpreting engineering drawings, established work planning processes, ES&H guidelines, and other formal ETF instructions.
- Requires the ability to work with specialized tooling and material handling equipment such as cranes & forklifts, common electrical hazards & safeguards. Basic hand and power tool familiarity is a requirement.
- Proven ability to handle test equipment, explosives, radioactive, & other hazardous material with proper training.
- Some travel & off site work at other DOE & DOD locations is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Security Clearance Level L, Q or Secret /Top Secret DoD is required
- Selected applicants will be required to take a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.
- Technical degree in relevant discipline
- Ability to work well in a team focused environment
- Possess the ability to work in a semi-autonomous, self-directed manner
- Experience with Nuclear Weapons component design, testing or manufacturing.
- Familiar with working in a secure facility
The Engineering Services Department includes the machine shop, inspection, Test Assembly Group, Calibration, Explosive Test, Classified Storage, Shipping and Receiving, and Environmental Testing, and the Electronic Prototype Lab.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.