Sandia National Laboratories Electrical Engineer (Experienced) in Livermore, California
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
The Capabilities Systems Engineering group is looking to add a new member to the team! We are seeking an experienced R&D Electrical Engineer to join multidisciplinary teams that are designing and developing advanced components, subsystems, and systems for national security programs. This is a highly collaborative work environment where successful candidates will create innovative solutions for difficult technical problems and acquire increasing levels of responsibility. For Sandia internal applicants, this is a backfill position and this position is promotion eligible.
An Electrical Engineer at Sandia:
- Develops requirements and concepts of operation
- Conducts environmental testing/qualification of development and production hardware
- Performs trade studies
- Supports system design activities including development and test of prototype systems
- Interfaces with system customer and various subsystem teams
- Assesses system reliability and performance
- Develops a system-level understanding of collected data and supports anomaly resolution
- Oversees production activities and sustains operationally fielded capabilities
- Develops documentation of a given design and gives technical presentations to peers/managers
Are you ready to join our team and make a positive impact in the national interest?
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or relevant discipline, plus three or more years of experience; or Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field of study plus seven or more years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in digital or analog design
- Demonstrated ability to work well in team-oriented environment and collaborate with internal and external organizations
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Ability to obtain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance and special program access
- Direct experience in one or more of the following: electrical design, modeling & simulation, or systems integration
- Experience leading a small team of engineers
- Organizational and critical thinking skills
- Experience working with DOE, NNSA, DoD, or Federally Funded Research and Development Centers
- Active DOE Q or DoD TS security clearance
The Capabilities Systems Engineering group supports a range of product-focused, engineering activities for national security-related applications. These activities span all phases of the product lifecycle, from concept exploration to development, production, deployment, and sustainment. The department specializes in systems engineering for capabilities requiring high confidence, quality, and reliability. Our diverse team of engineers and technical professionals provide expertise in multiple disciplines, including systems, electrical, and mechanical engineering, qualification engineering, and configuration management. This work is executed with an array of mission partners across a spectrum of security boundaries.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.