Sandia National Laboratories Electrical Engineer (Experienced) in Livermore, California
We are looking for an energetic individual to join our Facilities team. We have opportunities in several areas of our organization including engineering, operations, planning, and project execution for a person with electrical engineering and project management experience. Our fast paced, National Laboratory setting necessitates that the ideal candidate be comfortable with ambiguity and variability of assignment and embrace the value of being in a service group.
We seek a well-rounded individual, adept at problem solving in a variety of settings.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Assess electrical building system and site infrastructure issues, conceptualize potential solutions, make recommendations, and develop project plans
- Perform engineering analysis, calculations, and develop construction drawings and specifications sufficient to define systems for modification
- Create long-term capital improvement plans and develop work packages for building electrical/utility systems
- Provide technical direction for building electrical/utility systems, provide studies and analysis for electrical/utility building systems, and provide technical guidance for energy efficiency, conservation, and optimization
- Review plans for electrical/utility building modifications and improving cost effectiveness and customer satisfaction
- Reviewing and enhancing preventive maintenance procedures on electrical system assets
- Bachelor degree in electrical engineering plus minimum 5 years of experience in a commercial / industrial setting; or Master’s degree in electrical engineering; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience performing designs for low voltage and medium voltage (1kV-35kV) distribution systems
- Knowledge and understanding of current national electrical codes as well as State of California Building and energy efficiency codes
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance
- In-depth knowledge and experience with California Building Codes (CBC).
- In-depth knowledge of California Green Building Standards (CALGreen).
- Experience with sustainable design and acquiring Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
- Experience with AutoCAD or similar drawing software.
- PMP certification from the Project Management Institute or demonstrated ability to manage projects from concept through design and construction.
- Professional Engineer license (PE) in the State of California or ability to obtain certification within one year of hire.
- Knowledge / experience in facilities design, construction, and O&M industry best practices and standards.
- Detailed knowledge of electrical industry and ability to produce specifications for bid purposes
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and presentation skills
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization with both internal and external customers
- Ability to think critically and make decisions requiring scientific or engineering judgment
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to successfully plan, organize, lead, and monitor team efforts to completion. Ability to organize, prioritize, and follow through to completion on multiple tasks simultaneously
The Partnership and Planning Department supports the mission by establishing long range planning & investment strategies and implementation plans. The team develops and maintains effective strategic customer partnerships and integrates F&I plans into the investment and planning strategies. The team also provides space management, condition, and energy assessments of the facilities and site infrastructure. The Facility Management Coordinators (FMC) provides liaison between line organizations and mission support functions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.