Sandia National Laboratories Data Scientist in Livermore, California
We seek a Data Scientist with a background in applied mathematics, computer science, and information sciences. The successful candidate will be a quintessential member of a team advancing the frontiers of theory-guided data science focused on physics and engineering application domains. Drawing from a broad set of fields and tools, the Data Scientist will conduct research in areas including machine learning, reduced order modeling, inverse problems, feature extraction, statistics, and uncertainty quantification. Demonstrated experience in high performance computing, modeling and simulation of complex dynamical systems, and analysis of experimental data is desired. Successful staff are expected to demonstrate technical, programmatic, and operational leadership for high impact to National Security Programs, as well as publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals and contribute to the library of open-source software.
The staff member will be responsible for planning, conducting, and executing the work as part of a collaborative multidisciplinary team of researchers within and extending beyond the Data Science department. The ability to interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
- Requires a bachelor’s and master’s degree in relevant STEM discipline plus two or more years experience; or bachelor's and doctorate in relevant STEM discipline.
- Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise;
- Programming experience in C++, C, or a related language;
- Demonstrated ability to acquire, prepare, and characterize real-world data for subsequent analysis.
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering or science discipline;
- Strong academic performance (i.e. high GPA);
- Experience in parallel computing (e.g., MPI, OpenMP, CUDA);
- Experience in python, Matlab, R;
- Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment;
- Record of advancing the state-of-the-art in applied mathematics and computational science, and other related fields of study.
8759 provides strong expertise in data science and analytics, supporting Sandia's physical sciences and engineering mission partners by enabling the extraction of critical insights from extreme-scale observations, simulations and experiments. Capabilities in 8759 combine recent advances in applied mathematics and computer science, with expertise in UQ, reduced order modeling, and feature identification techniques. These capabilities will complement and leverage existing research in other 8700, 1400, and other Sandia departments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT