Sandia National Laboratories Data Scientist - Computer Science (Experienced) in Livermore, California
We seek a Data Scientist with a background in applied mathematics, computer science, and information sciences. The successful candidate will be a quintessential member of a team advancing the frontiers of theory-guided data science focused on physics and engineering application domains. The ability to interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues is a strong advantage in this position.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Conduct research in areas that may involve a broad set of techniques, including applied mathematics, Bayesian inference, reduced order modeling, compression, uncertainty quantification, validation and verification, feature extraction, linear/multilinear methods, nonlinear optimization, statistics, and/or machine learning
- Plan, conduct, and execute work as part of a collaborative, multidisciplinary team of researchers within and extending beyond the Extreme-Scale Data Science & Analytics department
- Demonstrate technical, programmatic, and operational leadership for high impact to National Security Programs
- Publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and contribute to open-source software
- Ph.D. degree in computer science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering or science discipline
- Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise
- Programming experience in C++, C, or a related language
- Strong written- and oral-communication skills
- A background in solving practical problems in science and engineering that involve encounters with real-world data
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas: applied mathematics, Bayesian inference, reduced order modeling, compression, uncertainty quantification, validation and verification, feature extraction, linear/multilinear methods, nonlinear optimization, statistics, and/or machine learning
- Experience in high-performance, distributed, or parallel computing
- Demonstrated experience in high performance computing, modeling and simulation of complex dynamical systems, and analysis of experimental data
- Experience in python, Matlab, R
- Experience in SQL, data parsing/preprocessing tools, and data analysis tools
- Contributions to open source software
- Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment
- Demonstrated research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, workshop and/or conference organization, and editorial roles
Sandia's Extreme-scale Data Science & Analytics department provides strong expertise in data science and analytics, supporting Sandia's physical sciences and engineering mission partners by enabling the extraction of critical insights from extreme-scale observations, simulations and experiments. Capabilities in the department combine recent advances in applied mathematics and computer science, with expertise in uncertainty quantification, reduced order modeling, linear/multilinear methods, nonlinear optimization, and feature identification techniques. These capabilities complement and leverage existing research in other Sandia departments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.