Sandia National Laboratories Computer Scientist - Formal Methods Researcher (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We have a full-time opening for R&D Computer Science researchers who are experts in formal methods. This opening is for a researcher at the early career level who can demonstrate the necessary technical knowledge and skill base in formal methods and automated verification of hardware and software.
Our researchers are expected to conduct innovative research, publish and present results in refereed journals and conferences, work in multidisciplinary teams, and seek out new and significant problems of national importance. Our Center is especially interested in candidates who can develop and apply formal methods research, including using automated or semi-automated tools, that can support the verification of hardware and embedded software systems. Collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams is essential to successfully realizing these objectives.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop formal verification capabilities that leverage domain specific languages and support interfaces to standard open source model checkers and automated theorem provers
- Solve practical engineering problems with real-world data that involve symbolic execution and discrete-event simulations
- Engage our capability development efforts using your skills with Haskell, OCaml, Coq, Python, C, Verilog, VHDL, and assembly languages
- Collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team to solve challenging digital assurance problems with national security impact
- Bachelor's and masters in computer science or a related STEM discipline
- Evidence of relevant and exceptional achievements in formal methods research, as demonstrated in the form of technical publications, presentations, software verification tools, and/or knowledge of applications
- Experience working in a collaborative research environment on problems in a variety of domains
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance
- Doctorate in computer science or a related STEM discipline
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: model checking, logical inference, automated theorem proving, equivalence checking, symbolic execution, discrete-event simulation, and specification languages
- Proficiency with high-performance computing platforms
- A background in solving practical problems in science and engineering that involve encounters with real-world data
- Familiarity with the processes for obtaining and managing research funding, including building project teams, writing grants and progress reports, and working with sponsors
- Evidence of professional service to the community, such as service on program committees, workshop organization, and/or editorial work
The Assured Digital Systems & Computing department maintains capabilities for the verification of digital systems, including software; analysis of hardware and software; modeling and simulation of digital or software systems; synthesis of hardware or software to meet formal specifications; and development of specialized software utilizing advanced mathematics to meet specialized customer needs. The department additionally performs research involving neuromorphic computing architectures. The team consists mostly of PhDs with research backgrounds in computer science, analysis of programming languages and domain specific languages, and high performance computing. We collaborate and team closely with organizations across Sandia and a broad spectrum of external partners.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.