Sandia National Laboratories Composites Technologist (Early/Mid-Career) in Livermore, California
We are seeking a highly motivated and team oriented technologist to support the multiple high-visibility programs which the Lightweight Structures Lab supports. The candidate will work full time prototyping novel composites structures in the organization’s Lightweight Structures Lab. The candidate must show strong aptitude for attention to detail and process documentation. We expect to hire someone who either has composites manufacturing experience or a strong enthusiasm to learn composites manufacturing as part of a large multidisciplinary team collectively to address challenging national security problems. Extensive on the job training and specialty coursework and continuing education in composites manufacturing will be available. This position requires occasional travel to New Mexico and Kansas City, Missouri.
- Requires high school diploma
- Hands-on manufacturing experience which demonstrates attention to detail
- Demonstrated communication skills and work organization
- Eagerness and willingness to learn new manufacturing methods
- Comfort with heavy equipment operation
- Experience with composite design, layup, bagging and cure processes
- Experience developing and interpreting mechanical drawing
- Experience writing technical documents outlining experimental results and conclusions
- Experience supporting multi-site, high visibility engineering programs with high rigor/high consequence products
- Experience with mechanical test equipment, instrumentation and product qualification
- Experience working with production agencies and external customers
The Weapons Subsystems 3 designs, prototypes and supports mechanical weapon subsystems for high consequence applications requiring exceptionally high confidence, quality and reliability. These projects support a broad mission space including assets that are critical to U.S. national security.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.